Re: Draconised (sic) myths

From: David Cake <dave_at_2iASdkNgNCgCJm6CJU2_yRKzrK_BLrvUMH-5uZOKVxn4peuNZ2E08M2OQu3Jm8HMq0f__js>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 13:09:05 +0900

>But a mystical (or draconic) community would have to use the older
>interpretation of the myth in order to "do the story, get the magic?"
>If they preferred the deeper, draconic understanding, then the
>heroquest would not gain magic.
>
>I'm seeing a matrix of possibilities:
>
>Play a god in a theistic myth -> gain magic
>Play a dragon in a theistic myth -> gain magic
>Play a god in a draconized myth -> gain inner development
>Play a dragon in a draconized myth -> you're probably a master to even try

        I don't think playing the dragon role in a draconized myth is necessarily that hard - as long as you are aiming to gain inner development only.

        I wonder if the EWF got to the stage where they were able to perform a heroquest as both draconic and non-draconic simultaneously? I am thinking here of, for example, a local clan leader playing Orlanth - and an EWF leader playing Aroka. It seems plausible. And everyone wins - the clan leader gets some Orlanth powers, the clan gets rain, the EWF leader develops his inner power through ritual utuma, the EWF gets to claim political credit for participating and making the heroquest less dangerous.

        On another tangent on all those draconised myths - surely the EWF would have found useful myths for fighting the God Learners? Unfortunately, dragon vs knight myths tend to result in the dragon losing. What form would the EWF magical counterattacks to the God Learners take?

        One thing that comes to mind is if you assume there is a Gloranthan analogue to the Sigurd vs Fafnir story, in which after killing Fafnir Sigurd gains the power to speak to birds by tasting his blood, and gains wisdom/prophecy from eating his heart. Perhaps, then, after killling the dragon the hero can gain draconic insight - which potentially gives the EWF a way to subvert some of their foes to their side, which seems a rather interesting and subtle potential utuma ploy.

        Another myth along the same lines could be constructed from the number of incidents in which a dragons treasure turns out to be terribly cursed.

        That said, the EWF at war doesn't usually seem to be a particularly subtle thing. Bring on the dinosaurs, dragons, and rain of fire seems more their style towards their opponents.

	Cheers
		David