Re: Take part in the Battle of Whitewall

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_8mexpn7fL4HIge-ZuNgMMIC-3CQRnWgHHgD8gq7Gmn1ki3OI_VslEQaaSuKJlFWV97hO>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 02:28:48 -0000

> Hmm, yesss, I seem to remember something like that from a long time
ago and
> far away... Let me just observe the battle from over there...
>
> Let's see, we're up against a few hundered *desperate* defenders, who
> worship a god of Storms. What could they do to us? Raise a storm?
Nah, never
> happen...

Sure, they'll try - but really, the Orlanthi have never managed to raise such a great storm against the Empire before. So why now?

And this is not an idiotic perspective for a Lunar commander to take - or at least a commander who doesn't have access to a rules book!

The Orlanthi seem to be able to invoke fairly significant storm magic, but not on the scale of the Crimson Bat. As far as I am aware, the Bat has only been defeated once - and that was by a Dragon. So when the Lunars fought against the Sairdite tribes, Tarsh, Tarkalor, and other members of the House of Sartar, this was not an immense concern.  The Orlanthi have never stopped the Bat before, so presumably they can't stop him now that the Orlanthi are nothing more than a handful of defenders in a difficult to reach citadel.

This is a complaint that I have about a lot of Gloranthan armchair generals - they assume that both sides know the game mechanics and have cult writeups. The Lunars know a few things about fighting Orlanthi: (1) be prepared for ambush; (2) they fly - which is a huge pain; and (3) their magic is weaker than the Lunar College of Magic.

> But hey, I'm not your narrator, so if he wants to run the Lunar High
Command
> as a bunch of complete tactical idiots, then fine (okay, they were, but
> Broyan shouldn't be *counting* on that).

They aren't complete tactical idiots. Frankly, sending in the Crimson Bat is like using a nuclear weapon. Not a lot of delicate maneuvering is required. At Runegate, the Lunar command let the Orlanthi exhaust themselves fighting against Delecti's zombies and then they landed the Bat on Runegate. Not for a tactical reason - but to make a point.

The appearance of a Dragon at Boldhome was likely very disturbing and something that the Lunars are on guard for this time. But that Broyan is actually going to contest the Bat? Insane!

Jeff