Re: beating the bat

From: donald_at_Riw9Z-YnE3zD-Y9jjYqMXrHXEwi2vsrar9NNoWzy08GAn4BBausJ8NSn7FclyCXz0zbVq
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 20:48:55 GMT

In message <000a01c75f4c$d8391000$6406a8c0_at_Camelot> "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" writes:

>Roof Sharpeners might work :-), I doubt that removing a few hundred lives
>would make it go starve crazy - the cult could just drive it over to another
>town and feed there.

I had the impression the Bat needed about a thousand for a proper feed. So the defenders at Whitewall are going to be just the starter.

>I don't think I am projecting too much on the Imperials to have some
>clue to the Orlanthi. Their contact has not been all War. There are
>converts from Storm to Moon that were, I'm sure, happy to tell all
>they knew.

I'm sure there are *some* Lunars who know all about the Orlanthi, including cult secrets that the Orlanthi would be shocked to discover were known to outsiders.

However most Lunars won't have much clue beyond "they're barbarians" and a fair proportion of the senior ones will refuse to consider "barbarian magic". I suggest this is one of the differences between Jorkandros and Tatius. Jorkandros regards it all as beneath him, while Tatius recognises he doesn't know much about the enemy and takes advice from those who do.

>> That would mean that you have to send your people into tac-nuke radius.
>> And, to boot, the valuable (Dara Happan) ones rather than expendable
>> Provincials.
>
>Not really - Support from home is an imporatnt part of Imperial magic. Most
>Sun priests will be far behind the lines, deep inside the Glowline and far
>from the bat. Use a Provincial sunworshipper to act as the on-site focus for
>the ritual. Or an unpopular-with-the-hierarchy priest.

There's a Dara Happen phalanx nearby if not at the seige. They'll have sun priests. Easy enough to protect from the Bat by having a Provincial or Danfive Xaron unit nearby with orders to march into the Bat's mouth if it comes their way.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/