Re: Vadrudi's customs and history

From: jorganos <joe_at_Pj25hXxi36DlAL_CUCp-mAh1gBiyPE7p_IFCGrpNl12yzXCwmiP7LqHFxEWMFD6mzS2U8dyT>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 13:40:38 -0000

> OK, I am going to take a different tack from the rest of the
> digesters here.

Not sure that your view differ much from mine

> First, despite what Peter says, Vadrus was utterly destroyed in the
> Great Darkness by Wakboth. When Wakboth came into Glorantha, Vadrus
> tried to gain Wakboth's power by defeating it. Instead, Vadrus was
> utterly destroyed, so that today worshiping him is of no value.
> Vadrus could not be contacted in the First Age, in the Second Age,
> or in the Third Age.

Nor would he have to - worshipping or emulating a collection of his less known, but equally brutal offspring would lead to a collection of quite similar powers, right?

> Second, Vadrus was never a "culture god".

Agreed. Unless you count the Vadrudi warband, not at all.

> I suspect that the Yggs Islanders and various other cultures
> in Fronela may have survived the Darkness (or maybe the Gbaji
> Wars, or maybe the Imperial Age) with the aid of hostile and
> malevolent storm and wind spirits - for instance, the folk
> in northern Fronela that survived the Middle Sea Empire by
> offering tribute to Valind and his hollri. Or the Yggs
> Islanders who also survived the Imperial Age with the aid of
> cruel Ygg. There are probably a few other scattered examples.

> However, these cultures would not call themselves "Vadruding" nor
> would Orlanth necessarily be a god that they had any strong opinions
> all. Although all these cultures are likely cruel and ruthless,
> that's likely because they exist in very marginal lands and have
> barely eked out a survival with the aid of their cruel and ruthless
> gods.

I can't say I have anything against this.

I don't want "nice" Yggites - but I want ones that make a believable culture.

I see the Hrimthurs demigods who range on the Glacier ignoring Valind's authority as the closest to a "Vadrudi society" - the eternal outlaws and robbers.

Any lesser survivors will differ in having compromised somewhere during the Darkness or history, and having accepted some form of culture. These peoples would be "Vadrudi" in the same way they are "Umathi" - descended from these deities, inheriting some of their magic and life-style. And adding a load of history and survival myths.

Such as having learned to listen to others.

Valind, becoming a vassal of Himile, becoming lord to an empire of elementals (hollri and umbroli).

Ygg, and other lesser focal figures who offered survival and some arrangement with non-Vadrudi.