Re: Vadrudi's customs and history

From: jorganos <joe_at_LMzIw7rfbajNMKcJrhg8Vhdrx2uUnlT82mO6rVww5P7Ni-sBr8JQ0ch_eLAzpTyspfOG7zSh>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 15:19:51 -0000

> >To me, the Yggites are a splinter group of Vadrudi origin who are
> >different from the rest by adopting their island-based culture, IMO
> >through the less violent union of Ygg and Nelarinna (compared to
the
> >origin of the merfolk) which should be seen as a parallel to the
Pelaskos
> >marriage (in Storm Tribe).

> I don't like the idea of making the Yggites less violent.

Less violent? Not necessary. Less unrestricted in whom they subject to that violence is what I am aiming at.

> To me
> they should be just as violent and bloodthirsty as other Vadrudi.
> If you want kinder, gentler vadrudi then there's the Orlanthi.

Too emotional about everything, way too restricted.

I see them as Orlanthi with most of the brakes off. Conflicts within a clan can be expected to be settled in duels or similar, without any gentleman's rules. And there aren't the strong and long-remembering Ernaldan wives to keep the feuds running on for ages.

> The
> Yggites are the people who sack holy places and draw
> disrespectful cartoons of the Invisible God. They were
> even eating children when Dormal contacted them (Missing
> Lands p44).

Common effect of the Ban, really. I don't think that they remained at this diet when there was an alternative.

The Dara Happans ate Gerra during the Greater Darkness. Not just the Alkothi, either. This doesn't make them a cannibal culture (excepting possibly the Eternal Orgy in Glamour).

>>> All of the Storm Gods worshipped by the Vadrudi
>>> [are fearsome and terrifying]

>>The weak ones that followed Orlanth?

> They are not weak if worshipped in the Vadrudi manner and
> they are only seen to follow Orlanth if worshipped in the
> spineless manner of the Orlanthi. Very much like how
> Gods have different personalities when worshipped by
> different pantheons.

Since I don't quite buy into this slavery business, I'm not convinced. On the other hand, battlefield dedication of slain foes to the deities should be a common occurrance (something the Heortlings are too weak for).

> > > Even Orlanth has thralls.

> >Orlanth was a Vadrudi, too, when he met Ernalda.

> Ernalda? Who she?

Some witch who made him weak, so now he and his people are prey rather than predators.

>>> But I didn't write anything about
>>> demanding slavery, I simply said that their priests were
>>> holy slaves.

>>Your priests enter the relationship with their deities as slaves.

> You make it sound like there's some conscious choice on their
> part. There isn't. The Gods chose whom they want as priests.

Doesn't resonate with me. Someone chosen by the Vadrudi gods becomes a berserk rather than a humble (if irate and nasty) slave. Keep that for Fonrit.

>> That takes a very twisted male Vadrudi.

> Or, more likely, an unfortunate one.

A loser? Not "one of us" any more, then. Your picture makes this "priesthood" sound like a bunch of nasty tricksters tolerated by the rest.

>>Valind, while one of the strongest and also most intelligent of the
>>Vadrussons, also is the one son of Vadrus who made a treaty with
Orlanth.

> In Orlanthi myth. Do you really expect the Winter King will see
> things that way?

You have to take his relation to Himile in account, too, not just the Orlanthi myths. Twice subservient.

In fact, the relation of Valind to Himile is probably the best point to make in favour of your "slaves to malevolent gods" priesthood.

>>By heroforming a successful Vadrudi god, and beating the enemy god
>>on the heroplane, right?

> No. By finding a godling or spirit and beating the crap out of it
> on the material world.

Unless the spiritual landscape of northern Fronela is exceptionally rich, an inconsequential source of magic.

>>Slaves to the gods. I don't really see those brutalo machos
>>approaching an ancestral giant as a slave.

> Which is as it should be because Vadrudi Priests are not
> ordinary brutal macho Vadrudi but terrifying slaves to their gods.

Again, that's the usual job description for berserks, not magicians.

>>And that's where IMG the Valindi, the Yggites, and those
>>"below the ice" refugees parted from the Vadrudi.

> Why should the Valindi and "below the ice" others part from the
> Vadrudi? Why is there this need to make them nicer.

In order to create a marginally sustainable society. Either live on as very few demigods carrying on the early Storm Age ways, or find a way to survive as humans. Making compromises.

> And if you take away all of them, who else is left as a Vadrudi?

Very few demigods.

> >Few of the Adventurous subcults known to the Heortlings would
appeal to
> >the Vadrudi.

> What's wrong with Destor? If you portray him as a bandit rather
> than an adventurer, he appeals to the Vadrudi nicely.

Who did he slay?