Re: Vadrudi's customs and history

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_1KU_vRZS9HiDsY2k9hZZVgy9outGqIwbRURnAyGgu_emXB2AH16WReN6Q>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:58:58 +0000 (GMT)

Jeff Richard wrote:
>Not a "culture" either. The Vadrudi warband is what the Orlanthi call it - but that is a misnomer. Vadrus' only means of dealing with others is through violence. That's his only >social skill and his only means of dispute resolution. He is the outlaw wind.

Well we do have examples of 'Vadrudi' cults in Gagarth and Valind. Both are violent, outsiders to society, but I don't know that a lack of society equals a lack of culture. In my game people often refer to exessively violent or outlawed Orlanthi as 'vadrudi' as a generic term of dissapproval.

Vadrus is an example of the perils of Umath's Law that 'Violence is always an option', untempered by Ernalda's 'There is always another way'. I would note how in Orlanthi society myths like the Making of the Storm Tribe, or How Peace Was Made show Orlanth being guided by Ernalda. I expect that when young men retort that 'violence is always an option' the women chide him for 'acting like a vadrudi' and tell the story of 'how peace was made'.

But within vadrudi bands I expect that there is an order, born from the principle of 'might is right' where the holmgang decides everything from ownership of plunder to a woman, leadership belongs to the strong, and few become elders for somebody will usually kill them and take their wealth when they become too weak.

Ian Cooper