Re: Carmanian heraldry

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_z-dUAHGrdWcaFtVew5KwfP8F0fe7RDLLkcLFnNN5JVmCH3PBFtIuRGWWQce3r>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 08:31:41 +0000 (GMT)

> Would Carmanian knights bear their own devices, or
> the device of their House, on their shield?

It's probably worth considering the original purpose of RW heraldry in this context: identification. Knowing who was on your side in a battle, identifying your commander. Looking at the enemy ranks and knowing exactly who was there by their banners. Do the Carmanians have a similar need? If so, they probably use heraldry. (And heraldry is fun, so any excuse.... I even have a simple version of it for Sartarites.)

The distinction between "own device" and "device of their house" may well be a fine one anyway, depending on how Carmanian society works (I am anything but an expert here). RW heraldry usually granted arms to a house, effectively, and then the eldest son would have a variation on that, next eldest had a different variation, if two noble houses married their arms got displayed one on each side of the shield - it's a whole complex language.

Inbox full of unwanted email? Get leading protection and 1GB storage with All New Yahoo! Mail. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html