300. History? Heck No. But Glorantha? Sure!

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_RucLcu3jNoElKIa129zEEq0T3AjSPS5lqI77DeD5xDj0wwdp90HwlNNo6ms74sr3oUela>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 19:21:50 -0700

Just got back from the theatre, where I watched "300" with much enjoyment.

Lots of people are up in arms about "travesty of history" and other nonsense - but it never was intended to be a Historical depiction of the Spartan stand at Thermopylae; rather it is a movie based on a comic book (sorry, Graphic Novel) based on another movie, based somewhat tenuously on history. (And yet it still gets more right than "King Arthur"...)

I looked at it and thought "Cool, there's Gbaji attacking our heroes' homeland, and a brave Heroband defending themselves from him." It doesn't really matter who your personal Gbaji is, it still is a fun flick - though be aware that it has *lots* of graphic violence, in super-slow-motion. Oh, and some breasts, so don't bring the kiddies, they might see boobies and be scarred for life. (That's sarcasm against the American neo-Puritanism, folks, *don't* bring kids to this movie, period. Really, don't do it. I'm serious now).

As I said, lots of violence - stabbing; slashing; lopping off of heads, arms and legs; Elephant tripping; War Rhino(!) eye piercing; Horse stabbing; shield-bashing; and kicking into bottomless holes in the ground (what the bottomless hole is doing in front of the Spartan Royal palace they don't say...).

Lots of wierd monsters on Gbaji's - err, Xerxes' team, including a Broo musician (in the Persian Orgy scene. Really).

It's a bucket o' popcorn and large drink movie, not a think about it deeply movie. It *does* require a lot of suspension of disbelief, and not being squeemish. Blood flying is lovingly depicted.

Some interesting phalanx-work in the first attack on the spartans (before everyone goes all heroic and fighting individually). And the Persians must have had some kick-ass Bow magic to send arrows as far as they do.

Do Not Bring The Kids. (it's rated "R" for a reason!).

RR