Re: 300. History? Heck No. But Glorantha? Sure!

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_dG4PtTeyziCRSI6Xo7Je0g1uq0ahiX7LXMW8gOEL76LafG_AKJfdmoF6_-B4-ay6LTu1D>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 21:54:30 -0700

>>Lots of people are up in arms about "travesty of history" and other
>>nonsense - but it never was intended to be a Historical depiction of the
>>Spartan stand at Thermopylae; rather it is a movie based on a comic book
>>(sorry, Graphic Novel) based on another movie, based somewhat tenuously on
>>history. (And yet it still gets more right than "King Arthur"...)
>
> This comes across a bit as 'of course its rubbish, its based
> on a comic', which isn't an argument I have a lot of sympathy for.

Nope, you've got to follow the genesis all the way back - it's based on a comic book based on a movie based loosely on history. That's enough removes from
history that I feel fine with it.

And it never claims to be anything other than what it is. No "the Real story of Leonidas and the 300 Spartans". No "Researched extensively". No phoney-baloney faux-history. Just stylized action, action action. While I haven't read the graphic novel, I saw many scenes that *looked* like a graphic novel - I'm betting that they were staged as much like individual panels as possible.

RR