Re: The Fall of Whitewall

From: donald_at_thcCB0qL2UslYTwSELoOxFEDg96tDIe14zntZMcJdgRyTzh2TDSzYkT2UO0fDek1L7Byl
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 02:48:49 GMT

In message <20070317220412.17234.qmail_at_9OdP8z2c7s718EcGLCqadjgtMfOBu6HZyl4n2zfVATH-VW1W3026UojsIy7dmun5oF_HZYDD2HaPnpXz-g9Pi_O5LESToD57NgCp5xzOGLDczT3IrYS9YW20FmEF3eTtqQ.yahoo.invalid> Jane Williams writes:

>But sorting out how come the entire Fimbulwinter,
>death of Orlanth, loss of wind magic and more
>importantly earth magic, for the whole of Sartar and
>beyond, is completely over-looked in every KoS
>document (and every other document), is still beyond
>me. And all non-Orlanthi modesty aside, if I'm
>struggling that badly, what chance does the average
>reader have? So WHY wasn't this missing explanation in
>OiD in the first place?

How about this one?

Looking back on it, it just wasn't significant. A fairly small and indecisive battle freed Orlanth. The potential famine never happened because Ernalda had prepared while Barntar and Asrelia/Ty Kora Tek used their magic to avert it.

Given the amount of stuff that's lost to history because no notable could claim credit for it I don't see a serious problem. The fall of Whitewall is big because Tatius could claim the credit and his family was still there to make sure he got it. Kallyr and Broyan are both dead, Argrath has no desire to make them look good. In any case the important work was done by farmers and their women and they did it so well people looking back just thought it was a bad winter in Dragon Pass.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/