Re: The Fall of Whitewall

From: donald_at_8iC7pCocaopoWIhTNZPmzE3sN1GXRzsTH0cPabU9eRumox6sCdymirKdDp02c3-9d1APp
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 00:48:33 GMT

In message <20070318212512.49569.qmail_at_QSgMc3s_19CbDWOGZbPPQCGlT8v38x01UTEGmwRPDvPIgf0Tsc8mlwRy4B-tWLq119QvlGnjt5Td5mN8Wka3O0oCXJuXUjoVQWjNTNSBztIQczK3RCfPX-iJRbFC49K9Dw.yahoo.invalid> Alison Place writes:

>4. (The best) FW was actually a Sartari own goal.
>They attempted to interrupt the Kalikos Icebreaker
>ceremonies to starve the Lunar Heatlands, and blew it
>badly. Reallly, really badly. Therefore no skalds,
>Lawspeakers, chroniclers or bards were allowed to
>mention it, on pain of death. Then, what few
>surreptitious records were made vanish during the Era
>of Illiteracy. This makes good sense, considering the
>Orlanthi do control the weather.
>
> In this context, "Ashart dies of heat." is
>actually a reverse code for "Ashart dies of cold."

This makes a lot of sense if Argrath was involved in the mistake. However I'm not sure where the magical resources would come from to do it. Most Sartarite resources are committed to Broyan and defending Whitewall at this point. Could be that Argrath tried with totally inadequate resources and found himself facing a several mastery deficit against the Lunars. Success/success turning into Fumble/Critical - just as well the Lunar weren't trying to kill him.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/