Re: The Fall of Whitewall

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at__0A8DNRA0q6tEUKfypbKg59GJbCTjxU3RqnhGL4FAQh6QygCc8qRMB0l-ni-fHYJyuJ>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 16:56:08 +1200

At 03:49 p.m. 19/03/2007, you wrote:

>Me> It doesn't sound right because Minaryth would just
> > say that his child died of fever rather than heat.

>You're assuming that "Whitewall falls, Ashart dies of heat" has the two
>events in chronolgical order. There's no guarantee it is.

Standard practice notwithstanding. Consequential information in two sentences is presented elsewhere in the record. For example:

1613 Battle of Orlanth the Loser. Kallai Rockbuster flees in

         fear.

Should we assume that Kallai fled before the battle rather than afterwards?

1625 Olaront raises a dragon. King Blackmor is destroyed, [...]

Should we assume that because the information is conveyed in two sentences that Blackmor was destroyed before the Dragonrise?

>What if the death was before the fall of Whitewall?

In which case he, being a normal person, would have written:

1621 - Ashart dies. Whitewall falls.

>And I still maintain that it is unreasonable to claim that because
>something isn't in KoS it can't be important

Well, I haven't actually made such a claim.

--Peter Metcalfe