Re: Yelmalio keyword

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_9YRnoMd76yoHEiPnGAElqSUFYtPI_c23JYxc-dM6xlxCaUi2Msk5IeGR2NGF9nwFXWy>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 19:07:35 +1200

At 05:52 p.m. 19/03/2007, you wrote:

>I think the OiD version is only one aspect of Yelamio (the Mercenary Aspect,
>probably the best known) - after all, this is the Premier god of Sun County,
>and the other Sun Domes, so he probably has (Minor) Cultural God
>significance, and various other aspects, much like Elmal has subcults.

Gods don't have mercenary aspects, they have martial aspects. Just because the Count rents out the Hoplites to anybody who wants them does not affect their combat ethos. By way of parallel, Good King George hired out Hessians to put down some triffling colonial revolt - even though they were hired troops, they were still disciplined troops.

>So there's probably the Yelmalio that makes plants grow and is Husband to
>the Earth; the Yelmalio of Horses (Remember that even back in CoP Yelmalio
>taught Kushile Archery and Riding, even though no Sun Dome mercenary band
>seems to have mounted archers!). There may be some Anti-Darkness and/or
>anti-Cold/Storm aspect(s) as well (Cloud Clear would be in the anti-Storm
>realm...). And yelmalio the regent or so,mething - not "King", as that would
>be transgressing on yelm's rites, but some form of "Yelmalio the leader".

The trouble is that this counts to something like five aspects whereas a Great God like Orlanth only has three.

I would instead give Yelmalio two affinities - Light and Truth (from Cults of Prax), the latter being the knowledge that comes from the gut, what it means to be a Yelmalion in a particular role.

Thus depending on the role, a Yelmalion could function as a fighter, farmer and so forth. As a hoplite, the Truth rune functions as a combat affinity and he gets the feats listed in OiD. As a farmer, the truth rune functions as a farming affinity. Can a Yelmalion maintain two or more roles? IMO yes so long as he can maintain the time requirements for each.

--Peter Metcalfe