Re: The Fall of Whitewall

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_aIYj1XYOx6L6CgbPw6RA0QCwV_XfFzRGydb4CEkjt0EyPNJe_2UHsoYQQwKqY370TIvEje4.>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 20:40:17 +0100 (CET)

Jane Williams

> OK, here's the relevant few lines from Minaryth Blue's
> little diary:

> 1618 — Ashart is born. I purchase half a team.
> 1619 — Ulandrosi the Barker is in town. Lunar army
> seizes Karse.
> 1620 — Lunar army seizes all Holy Country. Black ram
> is mine.
> 1621 — Whitewall falls. Ashart dies of heat.

Who says that Ashart dies after the Fall of Whitewall? Minaryth provides a historical and a personal entry for 1621. The likelihood that Ashart dies before the Fall of Whitewall is fairly high - the battle takes part in the later half of the year.

As to the omission of the Battle of Iceland: it is a magical Kallyr feat, even though Broyan does the warleader bit. Looking at a comparable (though minor) incident, some group of Pavisite adventurers defend the cradle while Garrath Sharpsword does the magical quest. Whose feat is it? Garrath's...

Omitting the Fimbulwinter might mean that the Argrath who was presented this book was away. Garrath on the Cradle, any of the others possibly away e.g. treasure-hunting in Dorastor or Wenelia. They might not even have noticed, at the time.