Peloria in the Second Age

From: innerworlder2000 <innerworlder2000_at_eUoh5wvYIRK3z7VKrreXsjZVeQixBlnJTOCkmdEiEX3NceLOrC0jc48291I>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 21:13:12 -0000

Hi Greg,

I am really excited about your world. I was designing my own fantasy world, but yours is so close to the one I was designing (in the second age) that I have really gotten into it. I have known about it for years and have played Runequest for years, but Robin Laws has really made it come alive in a lot of respects in Glorantha: the Second Age.  I have been mining the internet for information, but I was wondering if I could ask you a series of questions about Peloria in the second age. My players really like historic style fantasy and I would like to make the setting as realistic and rich as possible. I will try to make each question short and easy to answer covering territory over time.

The first question I have concerns economics and technology for Peloria in the Second Age. It seems we are looking at a feudal society (Carmania) conquering an (agricultural?) society. I'm unclear on this.

What is the previous economic culture of Dara Happa? Is their technology more advanced than the Carmanian technology? Do Carmanians use Dara Happan engineers or their own engineers to design equipment and buildings? Are Carmanians building cities as they conquer, or will they do that later?

I notice that Carmania uses Persian terms for government. Do you see Carmania as Persian or more Roman in concept?

Are Carmanians building roads as they are moving into Dara Happa or are there already roads there, or something else? Are Dara Happan towns well protected with walls and fortifications? Roman or Babylonian in style?

Are the wars Carmanian conquest affecting trade between cities? Are Carmanians instituting coinage, changing coinage, or not using coinage at the present time?

Are the size of the `cities' like small medieval towns or are they large like Jerusalem. Which cities of Peloria are as large as Jerusalem or larger? What percent of city population does Carmania leave as guards/sentries after it conquers a city?

Who is paying for the war? Are the common people buckling under the burdens of taxes? Is waste piling up in the streets? Is the disposal of bodies causing a problem? Do bands of people follow the armies to loot and pillage?

Are Dara Happans becoming the common slaves of Carmanians? Do noble Dara Happans or priests retain their positions, or are temples burned and nobles and priests killed?

Is the building style of Dara Happans wattle and straw, or primary cut stone? Is the Carmanian style of building different? Are Carmanians adopting the engineering styles of Dara Happans? Has the flying buttress been invented yet? Have any alchemists discovered tin or steel?

Do either Carmanians or Dara Happans possess chariots?