Re: The Fall of Whitewall

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_nu2xefBW2HuzXBkllBMpUYgcUqLtKeVNirhQ9wzPMN9c8khpEJA7xeObfRUMUeHito1>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 14:39:16 +1200

At 11:53 a.m. 20/03/2007, you wrote:

>It's modern western thinking to believe that things should
>be put in a logical order.

I didn't know that Thucydides or Herodotus were modern western thinkers.

>He's writing a few brief entries
>for the year so will put them down in the order they come
>to his mind and he can't go back and insert something.

Which calls into question how he is composing it. Is he reviewing the events of the year at sacred time or is he noting them after they occurred? If the latter then a strict chronology is implied. Even if it is the former, I fail to see how a far of a distant city is somehow more important than the death of a child.

--Peter Metcalfe