Re: The Fall of Whitewall

From: Michael Hitchens <michaelh_at_C5SyKFTtEmqpEbSwGzqiZrhCH7ZZ2Hl1YVQ6q6KnDAKWo-6uKtSqhcbpYWLxuhg8Y1V>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 13:53:09 +1100 (EST)

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Peter Metcalfe wrote:

>> He's writing a few brief entries
>> for the year so will put them down in the order they come
>> to his mind and he can't go back and insert something.
>
> Which calls into question how he is composing it. Is
> he reviewing the events of the year at sacred time or
> is he noting them after they occurred? If the latter then
> a strict chronology is implied. Even if it is the former,
> I fail to see how a far of a distant city is somehow more
> important than the death of a child.

It can't be entirely written in the year of occurence, or if it was Minaryth Blue was an exceptiolnally gifted writer

"1597 - I am born in Tarkalor Keep....."

While personally the death of the child would be more important it is *possible* that *if* he wrote the document towards the end of his life then the association of 1621 might have been stronger in his mind wityh Whitewall then with the death of his child. The death of child is personally important, but his memory of the year was off, and it only clicked that it *was* 1621 after he wrote Whitewall falls. A bit of a stretch I admit, but possible.

Personally I prefer my idea that "heat" is a typo and it should read "cold".

Michael

Dr. Michael Hitchens
Senior Lecturer, Department of Computing Macquarie University
michaelh_at__qa549IcG4D2D5mx1M4cNDTygrz7wpUsORCJKeamPvUsib-BqacgYl_-OrH7oEcgPFdXarFdieeke3bPvQ.yahoo.invalid