Re: Humakt, kinship & incest

From: John Hughes <john.hughes_at_4bv2EFSJeX5xbUjCtDVfzYSh6rocx_z34f04dK8a8JtF2zwz2BZkO6UM-UC-6su6>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 16:58:41 +1100

IMHO: No way!

Marriage is a contract between clans. In-marrying is totally useless. if they must, let them just share a hearth, the way other sexual minorities do. What fool would let his daughter marry a humakti?

Severing kinship ties does not magically sever emotional bonds: you feel the same way about a person (sister, brother, father etc.) as you always did. Does a woman forget her father and brothers because she marries into a new clan? Could a man kill his brother because he is outlawed?

I also have strong (though minority) opinions about what allying with the death rune does to sexual desire and fertility. Note Andrin's law about humakti sharing a hearth with a pregnant woman.

Also... (again YGMV) I have always played humakti battalions as having various forms of group marriage for those who remain sexual active.

Remember though, that sex magic of various forms is always major mojo.

Debates about this are perennial: have a look at he Digest archives. And yes, I've read Storm tribe. :)

Cheers

John

At 03:57 PM 20/03/2007, you wrote:

>Hi
>
>Another trivial question.
>
>While it would probably be unpopular, could siblings marry if one was
>Humakti, and thus have severed all kinship ties?
>
>Thanks
>
>Michael
>
>---------
>Dr. Michael Hitchens
>Senior Lecturer, Department of Computing
>Macquarie University
>michaelh_at_2Gqj8JGFV1DGXV5DaEhmAZO_FTT-HFcGNGHmpI6CqZRY07x6543GoQcUscYqzEQno-jjwhcglBM4JtohWycz8g.yahoo.invalid
>

>Yahoo! Groups Links

John Hughes
Publications Editor
Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research College of Arts and Social Sciences
Hanna Neumann Building #21
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200 Australia

T: +61 2 6125 0649
F: +61 2 6125 9730
W: www.anu.edu.au/caepr

CRICOS Provider #00120C

The CAEPR website has a large and growing electronic library of publications available
for free download, including Discussion Papers, Working Papers, Monographs and Topical Issues.