Re: The Fall of Whitewall

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_WhaW-vayNefi9I6NNkzQxQScMJnWFGvgNUDy6SsxUOW9Jlrxy4jXMYWc9TgqFofE1jm>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 12:43:49 -0000

Donald:
> From a military
> point of view the battle is pretty insignificant although
> the book writes it up as a great Sartarite victory.

For me, that's the most important thing about the Fimbulwinter and Battle of Iceland - compared to what's coming later on, they are really not important and are very minor.

OK, so Orlanth died a bit, but then he came back again. Kallyr must have done something to help him back, even though her attempt did not completely succeed. Bryan also did something to help. After all, Orlanth was seen to be dead because the last Orlanthi had fallen, when they turned out not to have been defeated, Orlanth comes back again.

Later on, you have the Battle of Pennel where Harrek wades through an army with his armour melting, Dragonrise where a Lunar army and most of its local priests are munched up as an afterthought by a sleepy dragon, the Too Tall Battle where the combatants block out the sun, battles where Pentian armies are so big they drain a river dry by drinking it, demons and demigods being active, the centurieslong  mild winters are broken bringing in a proper winter and so on.

Later on, the Seas go away, all the babies die, everyone forgets how to read and write, death falls from the sky, all the trolls die out, except for a few that nobody expected, demigods and deities are killed and then, finally, all the major deities are killed by the Devil, courtesy of Argrath and his funny little trickster.

So, compared to that, a little battle involving a few Orlanthi, some Lodrili Archers and a small Lunar army is pretty insignificant. Ok, so it was the beginning of the Rising and sparked off the later events, but's that's about it. Fimbulwinter is more complicated, but there have been worse things in the past and will definitely be worse things in the future. Lokamayadon stopped all initiations for a generation - you had a winter that lasted a bit longer and some of your spells around Dragon pass stopped working for a bit, you kids don't know you're born, in my day we had it a lot worse .....

I, for one, am looking forward to the Grand Argrath Saga and the things that will reveal. That is the stuff of heroes, not a little skirmish that only merited one line in King of Sartar.

See Ya

Simon