Re: how many Argraths?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_YgJskFzqmnhN9P0l168vIdLOZ5W-xFwYnTM8kDWgcNVnkJ4xwv3VZNQt75zBP>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 12:51:02 +0000 (GMT)

That would be my guess. To affect the Flame, whenever and however he did, he needs the Sartar blood, and in the genetic rather than legal sense. You can possibly get him that blood by another route, if you have Venharl in Pavis (where we know he has a son!) and his "wife" being Brenna, but dates start to get very messy. And that equates Argrath of Pavis with the other two as well, bringing in a whole new raft of problems.

> > If you want them to be separate individuals,
> you're
> > going to have to sort out what was going on in
> 1632,
> > and who it was who got accepted by Leika. Not
> > impossible, of course, but you'll end up
> contradicting something, somewhere.
>
> I'm not sure you can avoid contradicting anything,
> whatever you do

It gets hard at times, yes.

>- the

> saga says Maniski was of the Karandoli clan, so why
> the need to be
> Venharlsson to claim clan membership?

Ah, the Saga. Written by mixing various other sources, long after the event. No, that looks to me like the Saga author confusing his two lots of parentage. I suppose it's entirely possible that Maniski was Karandoli *too* (is a clan given for him elsewhere?), and that would help explain the choice of foster-parents, but the story given to Leika is so detailed it looks like it was documented by an eye-witness.

Incidentally, did you notice the link to Arnbord Venharlson, of the Karandoli clan in Pavis?

> But Garrath "Sharpsword" Maniskison, descended by
> blood on his mother's
> side from King Sartar, adopted son of Venharl of the
> Karandoli, makes a lot work.

It does. There's nothing forcing him to also be Garrath Sharpsword as far as I know, other than tradition that Garrath = "the Argrath", but I'd always made that assumption. If we "need"
Maniskisson/Venharlsson to have been around while Garrath was on the high seas, that's not so hard to split.

> Not everything though. Where'd he get his ability
> to copy the lunar magical regiments?

Natural genius? Saw it, worked out how to copy it?

> He wasn't at Iceland, on either side.

Not if he was also Garrath, no.

> And what clann/tribe was his father.
> Probably not the Karandoli, as noted above.

The only other reference I've found so far is in the Kings List, written long after Argrath's death, and nearly as reliable as the Saga :( That has him in the Karandoli.

The business with Leika is an attempt to bring his own Karandoli clan back to Sartar, and to get them back as a member of a powerful tribe. Simply saying that they still existed *might* have achieved that, proving his own descent from a King of the Colymar made the whole thing stronger. It all looks like "if you want me, you have to take my clan as well."

> Questions, questions. I actually dread the day we
> answer them all with finality :-)

I doubt if we ever will. We've more or less figured out how much freedom we have left after going through KoS, and it's just about enough for players to have room to move. Tie it any more tightly than this, we'd be more of less forced to break things to give the players somewhere to fit. Forcing Sky and Earth apart to make your own realm is a Good Thing, of course, but it can be overdone :)