Re: Humakt, kinship & incest

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_kJKLWcAICmc4rJbkTl5YFH8GKR1QU4tRd5KyAj7T4jFy1QCjSCxN1z99M24egDlKSaa1ilP>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:54:40 -0700

YGWV
>> > And btw, that being dead part is why Humakti are
>> > incapable of having children.
>
>> That's always been my own feeling on the subject: but
>> Storm Tribe tells us that they can have children, and
>> do.

Yes, and they justify it by pointing out that life comes out of death, just as death comes out of life. Such are the twists and turns of existence.

>> As a result of that, and earlier sources,
>> there are plenty of children of Humakti lurking in
>> players backstories, so we can't make it a
>> prohibition. Shame, but there you go.

The resheathing ritual exists, and always has, but does not change the essential nature of Humakt, Death.

> OTOH, I wonder whether making Humakti infertile does make sense, in
> fact. Humakt had a son, and he was Arkat. If Humakt cannot have
> children, how could he father Arkat? Or perhaps Arkat was a son of
> Humath, not Humakt, like many have already argued, and this whole
> story of severed kinship (and infertiliy) was introduced when Humath
> became Humakt.

There is no Humath in my Glorantha.
But to say Arkat is the "son of Humakt" is the same as saying that Ghengis Kahn is the Son of Death. One must not take EVERYTHING literally.
And I will tell you that IMG the god Humakt is not the literal father of Arkat.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford