Re: Humakt, kinship & incest

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_IlGwodhTWa5XvPfGf04xs0ljVV_6ZjTJOiEqcmO4sHFRm3AADAhKF8mVEI_jH>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 17:22:41 +0000 (GMT)

> > > And btw, that being dead part is why Humakti are
> > > incapable of having children.
>
> > That's always been my own feeling on the subject:
> but
> > Storm Tribe tells us ...

> Are you Gregging Greg, Jane?

Nope. Just pointing out that he's trying to Greg a long-established bit of Glorantha, apparently without noticing.

> OTOH, I wonder whether making Humakti infertile does
> make sense, in fact. Humakt had a son, and he was
> Arkat. If Humakt cannot have children, how could he
> father Arkat? Or perhaps Arkat was a son of Humath,
> not Humakt, like many have already argued, and this
> whole story of severed kinship (and infertiliy) was
> introduced when Humath became Humakt.

This argument works perfectly for me in one of my Gloranthas at least, but I gather the whole Humath-beomes-Humakt thing clashes with things and basically doesn't work unless you're willing to ignore a few critical bits of History and some recent statements about what GodLearners did and Arkat didn't.

> > Hmm, maybe it's a contest between the Death
> affinity
> > of the Humakti and the fertility magic used to
> create
> > the child....?

> Makes sense. Maybe the fertility magic involves the
> creation of a temporary bond of kinship with the
> mother's (or father's) clan or tribe.

I don't think there's any need. Marriage (relationship between two clans) and sex/making babies are two completely separate things. Neither one requires the other.

> > and what happens to a Humakti attacked by broo?
>
> Broos use a twisted form of fertilty to give birth,
> so I do not think a Humakti is safe from being
> "sexually" abused by a broo.

Nor do I, since it seems trees and large rocks aren't either, but I think I'd increase the difficulty of impregnation somewhat.

> I wonder how the broo
> can manage to take him _alive_, though.

There's a reason they usualy pick on sheep and goats :)

> Vingans and
> Babeester Gori are infertile, too, but this does not
> protect them from broos - I remember that you
> clearly stated, in your description of the
> (in)famous Droop spell, that it does work on broos,
> which makes me think there should be a reason for
> Vingans to use it on them.

Oh yes, my original description of Vingan infertility gave them exactly the same level of protection from broo as men already had. Half the reason for the RQ-rules side of that cult write-up was to give female PCs a fair chance of play. Fair, not over-powered.

Mind you, a Vingan would also use Droop to protect others, if it was appropriate. And it's one spell they teach to any woman, not just to their own cult.

New Yahoo! Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing. Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games and win prizes. http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://mail.yahoo.net/uk