Re: Digest Number 51

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_WHA3FrHRX0kwyZTuMfYs3AtmF49Y1rUleDv6goPSrhnN1LC9uhPjMg58Cvd3A>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 18:07:24 +0000 (GMT)

> > I can and I have and I will - but simply being
> able to
> > use published material in an *existing* game
> rather
> > than starting a new one would be good. Especially
> when
> > you've carefully made sure that your game does not
> > clash with existing sources, so that you can
> (should
> > be able to) use anything that comes out in the
> future.
>
> Let me get this straight:
>
> What you are saying is that all publications should
> be carefully vetted so as not to conflict with a
> long term, ongoing game that, from all accounts,
> predates HeroQuest by quite a few years?

No - not to conflict with the sources on which games get based. If the clash was with stuff we make up ourselves or with places where we know our Gloranthas have differed, that's inevitable. When it's with material that's actually by the same author, it's anything but.

At the very least, a section that effectively says "yes, we know, these changes have been made, this is how you can lessen the impact" is the only half-way responsible way to do things. You know, like the explanation of why the nature of Iron changed overnight and how to explain to your PCs that suddenly all their iron swords are crippling their magic when they didn't before (oh, we never got that one either).

New Yahoo! Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing. Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games and win prizes. http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://mail.yahoo.net/uk