Re: Ragnaglar

From: David Weihe <blerg2_at_TxjAfeAyRKSFQGA8eJA0sllvEfKp6CD_9kgL9732TL2cuXcBZUXLO6lwtNZNvPs_Os1zv>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 14:34:13 -0700 (PDT)

Dr. Michael Hitchens <michaelh_at_2aH7CBWXbsyyWgrnXYw_luZ67eNF8gPTs3Ut_yO9rixE2FQExerGn3p5DEKRHPvoL4rAiyCL2F-14TbE.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> Anyway, that wasn't my real point. My real interest was in the
> possibly of Ragnaglar being the oldest son of Umath and what
> potential could be mined by that, especially attitudes to oldest
> son inheritance amongst the Orlanthi.
  1. *I* think that Urox and Ragnaglar were likely twins. If not twins, then full brothers (like Eric and Corwin from the Amber Chronicles, or Nissyen and Evnissyen from the 2nd Branch of the Mabinogian) with LOTS of sibling rivalry. They both covered the animal storm worshipers like the goat men and the animal peoples who became the Praxians. I think that the God Learnerish term "violent" meant physical, rather than spiritual, energetic, or intellectual. Thus Umbroli are almost purely mindlessly physical winds while Orlanth's are almost humanly smart with a large Otherworld component. Alternately, the GLs had more problems controlling umbroli than wind daimons or essences, and expressed this spitefully, as "violent" rather than "spiritual".
  2. Whether the Brother Whom No One Remembers was first, second, or third born isn't going to affect things much. Orlanth was last born, so I always assumed default ultimogenture, just as among Migration Era and Dark Age Germanics. OTOH, it is documented that the Orlanthi also often practice tanistry, where the "best" person is chosen to inherit regardless of birth order, so the two systems are probably mixed together in practice (i.e., last-born unless another was clearly superior, or the last-born was a clear loser, or someone's spouse was better to act as Chief Mother and the magic works better when the chief and women's chief are actually wed, or someone could pay better bribes).
  3. The professor asked about the "potential to be mined" which implies to me that, from the YGMV principle, it is a matter of *your* ability to make an interesting myth, rather than ours to site sources and anthropology to demonstrate the "correct" answer. In my version, that Ragnaglar was Umath's begetting is devotee-level knowledge at the widest, whereas, in yours, it might be as commonly known as the Cthulhu Mythos is in August Derlath's Mythos stories (where it seemed to be covered in Anthro 201 or earlier, so call it initiate-level in the Lozenge). In this case, good luck, and remember to post the pertinent myths here if you can stand to let others read it.

Get your own web address.
Have a HUGE year through Yahoo! Small Business. http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/domains/?p=BESTDEAL