Re: how many Argraths?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_3mNoEFlIvOZzUE7atzOOfT8Rg_chcF5w-EAE4f2cAE2DD3kzC1IoWPNblVped>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 07:49:58 +0000 (GMT)

aargh, Firefox keeps throwing things away as they scroll up the screen, why did my darling husband change browsers on me??? Will keep trying, but if this looks like bits are missing, you know why.

Brennasson specifically did not go on the Cradle. Two Argraths, minimum. He is not Garrath.

He may possibly be Garrath's son: the Garhound scenario mentions that young Garrath won the contest once, and the rewards include marriage, and probably kids. Make the Harvest Queen that year Brenna, and there you go.

> He doesn't really fit with Argrath White Bull
> either (who I find the next hardest to
> fit into the composite).

AWB is on Kallyr's side of the Sartarite civil war, so merging him into "the" Argrath is VERY tricky. I've never even tried. My explanation for him is a Sartarite who was taken as a Praxian slave as a child.

> I don't remember any clan being given for Maniski,

Kings List says Karandoli, but that's about as reliable as the Saga.

> but I actually find it
> hard to believe he's Karandoli for two reasons:
> 1. Why claim would Argrath Colymar membership thru
> his adopted father when
> his blood father was also a member?

Agreed.

> 2. If the Karandoli live "on the other side" where
> was he living when he
> killed the lunar tax collectors at age 14?

Either in Pavis with the Karandoli (though dates get hard, that has to be post-1610), or living with his foster parents rather than the first lot. Being Argrath's parents can seriously damage your health :)

> > Incidentally, did you notice the link to Arnbord
> > Venharlson, of the Karandoli clan in Pavis?
>
> Yes, makes me wonder where exactly the Karandoli
> are.

If you take a careful look at the story of how they got driven out of Colymar lands, and also at the dates of the formation of Badside in Pavis, and then note the involvement of Prince Sartar in each, I think I can make a pretty good guess. They went "through" an Other Side location, and came out near Pavis. Most of them settled there. The more heroic types used the Other Side bit as an ambush site for getting their own back on the people who'd driven them out.

> I agree, but Garrath has the right feel to him if
> you want a charasmatic
> leader. Also he has a relationhip with Gonn Orta via
> helping the cradle.

Yes, he fits in a lot of ways.

> While you can easily make Argrath someone other the
> Garrath, remember we
> don't actually know an awful lot about him - not his
> father, not his clan, etc.

All very handy!

> 1. You need Argrath to be somewhere else for the
> period ~1620-1625 where we know Garrath's movements

That's the one we just ran into, of course. It would help no end if we could have Garrath doing something embarrassingly awful during the Fimbulwinter, much worse than simply being heroic elsewhere.

> 2. You want an Argrath whose personality does't
> match what we know about Garrath's.

Which is tricky, because the first thing I get about Garrath is that he's a good actor.

> >> Not everything though. Where'd he get his
> ability
> >> to copy the lunar magical regiments?
> >
> > Natural genius? Saw it, worked out how to copy it?
>
> As someone else suggested, started to learn from the
> Cradle experience.

That's my preference, if only because in the Swords Glorantha, it's definitely true. He learnt from the PCs :) But it could have been a variety of things, maybe a mix of several.

> > The business with Leika is an attempt to bring his
> own Karandoli clan back to Sartar,

> Yes, which also makes him look like a good Orlanthi
> - looking after his clan

Exactly. Whether it was real, or "look like", is an interesting question of course.