Re: how many Argraths?

From: Michael Hitchens <michaelh_at_V7s6rytcDoZkzhCxRZGxMAZJY0ljHN8oV_AsOwbnE2oIajewIJ1oE55fWYNY7S6XleQ>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 19:15:04 +1100 (EST)

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, Jane Williams wrote:

> aargh, Firefox keeps throwing things away as they
> scroll up the screen, why did my darling husband
> change browsers on me??? Will keep trying, but if this
> looks like bits are missing, you know why.

Fair enough. I hate browser based email anyway.......

> --- Michael Hitchens <michaelh_at_2vEYIvKO4BRlgPbGYWgxjTo10q2SZavkT-h38eIAZevb8mrb63O3zOrbHak8O0RhyauzlG1Mq8l8ws2T2QR3.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
>> Yes, there's that whole bit in Argrath of Pavis
>> about the Argrath outside the wall -
>> unless Brennason is somehow slipping in and out
>> of the city under siege you have to have at least
>> two Argraths.
>
> Brennasson specifically did not go on the Cradle. Two
> Argraths, minimum. He is not Garrath.

Didn't think you could really squeeze them into 1 person.

> He may possibly be Garrath's son: the Garhound
> scenario mentions that young Garrath won the contest
> once, and the rewards include marriage, and probably
> kids. Make the Harvest Queen that year Brenna, and
> there you go.

Haven't got the relevant docs with me, but does dates fit. Brennasson would be born no later no ~1605, yes?

>> He doesn't really fit with Argrath White Bull
>> either (who I find the next hardest to
>> fit into the composite).
>
> AWB is on Kallyr's side of the Sartarite civil war, so
> merging him into "the" Argrath is VERY tricky. I've
> never even tried. My explanation for him is a
> Sartarite who was taken as a Praxian slave as a child.

I saw that on a web site you pointed to, but I can;t remeber seeing that in the "official" stuff. Where's it mentioned?

>> I don't remember any clan being given for Maniski,
>
> Kings List says Karandoli, but that's about as
> reliable as the Saga.

I can't see it being right.

>> 2. If the Karandoli live "on the other side" where
>> was he living when he
>> killed the lunar tax collectors at age 14?
>
> Either in Pavis with the Karandoli (though dates get
> hard, that has to be post-1610), or living with his
> foster parents rather than the first lot. Being
> Argrath's parents can seriously damage your health :)

I got the imprssion that killing tax collectors was why he ran *out* of Sartar. Could be wrong though - if I was home I could look it up. Which makes it all a bit confused. If the karandoli are in Pavis and he had two sets of parents in Sartar, then are the Karandoli (Venharl) his third?

> If you take a careful look at the story of how they
> got driven out of Colymar lands, and also at the dates
> of the formation of Badside in Pavis, and then note
> the involvement of Prince Sartar in each, I think I
> can make a pretty good guess. They went "through" an
> Other Side location, and came out near Pavis. Most of
> them settled there. The more heroic types used the
> Other Side bit as an ambush site for getting their own
> back on the people who'd driven them out.

That's intersting. Where's the stuff that talks about the karandoli in Pavis? The Pavis set? More to lookup when I get home...

>> While you can easily make Argrath someone other the
>> Garrath, remember we
>> don't actually know an awful lot about him - not his
>> father, not his clan, etc.
>
> All very handy!

Yes

>> 1. You need Argrath to be somewhere else for the
>> period ~1620-1625 where we know Garrath's movements
>
> That's the one we just ran into, of course. It would
> help no end if we could have Garrath doing something
> embarrassingly awful during the Fimbulwinter, much
> worse than simply being heroic elsewhere.

Really tough. Would have to have him leave wolf Pirates and rejoin. Can't see how else to have them pick him up off the cradle, have him doing something else and then back with him. The dates actually seem to hve been nicely done to allow players to do both the Cradle and Iceland if you want. Which is nice in one way, but leaves Garrath right out of the picture after the cradle.

>> 2. You want an Argrath whose personality does't
>> match what we know about Garrath's.
>
> Which is tricky, because the first thing I get about
> Garrath is that he's a good actor.

Or politician? Or is that the same thing in this case? :-)

>> ability
>>>
>>> Natural genius? Saw it, worked out how to copy it?
>>
>> As someone else suggested, started to learn from the
>> Cradle experience.
>
> That's my preference, if only because in the Swords
> Glorantha, it's definitely true. He learnt from the
> PCs :) But it could have been a variety of things,
> maybe a mix of several.

Nice idea

>>> The business with Leika is an attempt to bring his
>> own Karandoli clan back to Sartar,
>
>> Yes, which also makes him look like a good Orlanthi
>> - looking after his clan
>
> Exactly. Whether it was real, or "look like", is an
> interesting question of course.

Yes, and is he trying to look like it or is the chronicler doing that bit?

Michael

Dr. Michael Hitchens
Senior Lecturer, Department of Computing Macquarie University
michaelh_at_2vEYIvKO4BRlgPbGYWgxjTo10q2SZavkT-h38eIAZevb8mrb63O3zOrbHak8O0RhyauzlG1Mq8l8ws2T2QR3.yahoo.invalid