Re: Humakt, kinship & incest

From: donald_at_60U2SpG4dfJpDKeQgaXi6gAU2aLVIy7u3tNHdqypf-BciGe_6WaB_C8LVo2tkFRQtR9st
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 16:23:42 GMT

In message <Pine.GSO.4.63.0703211354410.29181_at_VY5qzNSkneBtAJuXMLmttaBFEPYCd1wOksRlJKPYXjvlXnnR9rchYRkte49BR5A9B9_bw3NMwdX0WyqIZyiCjfuiHJYDIW1NmtnJDpWqbpcmOpdhpapDEEG0gEss-Mzo_Q.yahoo.invalid> Michael Hitchens writes:
>On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, donald_at_GIkE2RTPIXBjx_Ne95Uwp-ZH8U3oxjoSwCyNlT_rCwfcEbrxqFXoV9WVYb2_ZwuZPwp75l4r8ElBEihUP9H7pzBr.yahoo.invalid wrote:

>> As I understand it the impression is deliberate because that is the
>> way the Heortlings think. I don't believe there is anything in the
>> scenario which objectively links incest to chaos.
>
>True, but I kind of like the idea. Maybe not 100% all the time, but as a
>fair chance at least.

As I indicated, in Heortling society it leads to the breakdown of social structures and weak clans are vunerable to incursions of chaos creatures. So an "Orlanthi all" cases of incest cause chaos. However in some other part of Glorantha there is probably a group where, to keep wealth in the family, cousins routinely marry and if you haven't got a suitable cousin a sister will do.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/