Re: Minaryth Purple

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_S7KE3v9lGkzKpXZZM5sasmH_KFoPGXL3yrXxH8RBhbgPaJr-KeXi8itN3hMje>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 21:11:56 +0000 (GMT)

> Donald Oddy wrote:
> > Of course there is also the question of
> > whether purple is as expensive a dye in Glorantha
> as it was in the
> > RW. If so then it is an extravagant display of
> wealth even for a
> > single garment.
>
> I would say there are plenty of marine snails [Murex
> brandaris or the
> Spiny dye-murex]in the highlands of Sartar.
> Tyrian purple anyone?

What an interesting place for marine snails to live. I'm sure there's a myth behind that.

Seriously, there's no real reason why the colours that were rare and expensive in RW history need to be so in Glorantha. There's different plants, different animals, and a lot more magic. In the RW, dying wool blue was a problem, as most dyes weren't colour-fast. In Glorantha, you don't dye it at all, you ask a Helerite nicely and they shear a blue sheep.

Inbox full of unwanted email? Get leading protection and 1GB storage with All New Yahoo! Mail. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html