Re: How many Argraths?

From: Michael Hitchens <michaelh_at_pV_eaWLiiQT1Dy_31VTGlOd3pYzcf2HTbBDayaGOTnT0Pft9B-onuxp607SNUeZl8Jr>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 15:52:56 +1100 (EST)

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007, Peter Metcalfe wrote:

> At 03:21 p.m. 24/03/2007, you wrote:
>
>>> Argrath of Sartar is the Argrath that succeeds Kallyr
>>> as King of Sartar. He is little known before then and
>>> is ashamed of his lack of glory in the early years of
>>> the war against the Lunar Empire. Although a brave
>>> and resourceful heroquester, his principal flaw is
>>> pathological boasting about doing things most people
>>> know that he never did.
>
>> Possible, but a bit drastic. I doubt he would have had much success as
>> king if he got a repuation for purloiing other people's deeds. Boasts are
>> one thing in Orlanthi society, lies another.
>
> Argrath however is not a respecter of Orlanthi society. He
> resorts to murder when he doesn't get his way. He violates
> sacred monopolies in order to make his armies stronger
> (for instance making his troops obey written orders).

True, It's not his methods, but his reputation I'm talking about. I just wonder if claiming others deeds for one's own would prove the final straw. Whatever the Lhankhors might like, other people can read and write, so it's not actually breaking it, just bending it a bit further. Murder?, well violence is always an option. It seems like Argrath is a past master at pushing things to the limit without crossing final lines. Check his LBQ. I just think claiming others deeds as his own doesn't fit that pattern and would give him more trouble then it is worth.

> Yes, people will remember who really did many of the early
> epics. But Argrath's doesn't really care as he's so powerful
> that people don't mention it in his presence.

But what about behind his back? Doesn't sound like the right way to maintain a long term kingship amongst the Orlanthi.

Michael

Dr. Michael Hitchens
Senior Lecturer, Department of Computing Macquarie University
michaelh_at_vYOQPSmqm-2xr5zbs5b1HyAgLc0qGDxxZV6qFlJDBJeXvBan5KoF_gkCUmiZe_UvRROT64I6oyW1cWoQigS2.yahoo.invalid