Re: How many Argraths?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_f_c_UkUO-j1PaRxtaDPKzBbNaDRvMeSggfxW9ASwxXOggoBuP5K5SBWYCQ9ep>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 07:25:48 +0000 (GMT)

> An issue with establishing any connextion between
> AWB and Kallyr
> before late 1625 is the question of where Kallyr is
> between Iceland
> (Earth/1622) and Dragonrise (Earth/1625).

Indeed.

> Can't find my copy of the third Sartar Rising book
> and can't remember what dates it gives.

Going by memory, it's extremely vague about dates and about her location. And very useful it is too, when you want to fit scenarios ito PC plot-lines! I'll try to re-read later, but this is a busy weekend.

> But based on KoS the most likely scenario is that
> she is attached to Broyan's army:

My own guess would be that she's becoming more and more detached from Broyan's army. She's doing the prep. for the Dragonrise: lots of HQing, visiting sacred sites, travelling around. Sometimes with a small army in tow, sometimes not. Her location will be pretty flexible, though I'd be surprised if it took her as far as Pavis for more than very brief visits at most.

> So as Kallyr doesn't die with Broyan, she must part
> company with him
> before he marches north, and as the demon which
> kills him and his army
> is apparently avenging his betrayal of the City of
> Wonders it is
> probable that they had parted company before Harrek
> sacked it (in Winter 1624).

Yes, seems likely.

> However the CHoDP does put an Argrath in the Holy
> Country in 1624 with
> Harrek:
>
> 'Argrath went back to Prax, and with the White Bull
> brothers and some
> others took the city of Corflu from lunar hands'.
>
> This statement is the basis of my theory that this
> Argrath must be he
> same one (Garrath) who accompanied the Cradle and
> joined the Wolf Pirates

And mine, though as Peter points out, it could have been one of his followers.

>- and that if he is able to rally the White

> Bull brothers to
> take Corflu then there is a strong case for
> identifying him with AWB -

Maybe. I'm not convinced. If he's turning up out of the blue and taking over the WBB, he needs to convince a bunch of Praxians (as an Orlanthi) that he's worth following. Hard. If he already knows AWB (a separate person), then he only has to persuade *him* to be an ally, and that sounds like a much easier job.

> as otherwise it is going to take no fewer than three
> Argrath's (one of
> whom may or may not also be a Jaldon) to take Pavis.

Yes, and this is a problem how?

> But if AWB is a different Argrath from Garrath and
> is in Prax or the
> Wastes all along between 1622 and 1625 it is
> difficult to see how he
> could have meaningfully communicated with Kallyr far
> away in the Holy Country.

So she wasn't there. She moves!