Re: The Carmanians in the Second Age

From: innerworlder2000 <innerworlder2000_at_QY-7LiVkUO44UeQM8PtlfevTWeWAGqBDvp8SOnbJgg5_3zADfuklXvjRhJj>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 14:46:40 -0000

Peter Metcalfe wrote:
"The Carmanians believe in two gods, Idovanus and GanEstoro. Worship
of Idovanus (Ahura Mazda) is good while GanEstoro (Angra Mainyu) is bad. The world should be understood in terms of the struggle between these two deities with Idovanus destined to be victorious."

In Glorantha, Introduction to the Hero Wars, either you, Greg Stafford, or Roderick Robertson write: " The Invisible God created two beings to oversee the world of humans. Idovanus the Good God was overcome by Ganesatarus the Bad God, but since the dawn Idovanus' forces have been gaining power."

Since Zoroastrianism seems to be the major model for Carmanianism, and it also has a doctrine of a prime god Ahura Mazda, creating two secondary gods or primal Spenta Mainyu (the creative), and Angra Mainyu (the destructive), I am confused. Either the one God created two Gods or two Gods have always existed. This seems unnecessarily confusing.

(By the way, since Ahura Mazda made his ultimate triumph evident to Angra Mainyu, I was wrong in saying that the Invisible God made his ultimate triumph evident to Idovanus (the creative principle). It should have been the Invisible God made his ultimate triumph evident to Ganesatarus (the destructive principle)…according to Zoroastrianism, anyway.)

This may not seem to have an effect in gameplay, but it can be very confusing to a player. (I know this because I once played a Carmanian vizier and several times during the game the issue came up of which deity I worshipped. We had little info at the time, so we just used the Invisible God as a deity.) Please, if you can, give us the story of Carmanian religion (where did it come from?) and highlight any areas that are disagreements between authors.

It would also be interesting to know more about the magical contest from which the Carmanians found that their magic could be used for evil purposes. Did this take place in Loskalm? Why did the Carmanians really leave? Did they leave because that was the condition of the contest? Did they leave because they wished religious freedom? Were they being persecuted? Were they driven out by the God Learners? When and where did Carmanos give his revelations to the people (before the journey or during the journey?)

Peter Metcalfe wrote:
"I don't think the Carmanians have much contact with the EWF at this
point. They are pre-occupied with the struggle of the war between light and darkness with the fraticidal bloodletting that implies. In terms of international affairs, they are involved with the barbarians of Brolia and Anadikki and conflicts with Dara Happa until a peace is reached at Carantes. When Surandar dies, the EWF is still faraway."

When Surandur dies the EWF is still far away, but the EWF is seeking a foothold into Peloria, according to Glorantha the Second Age (GtSA). It is not until 875 that the borders of the EWF creep up to eastern Carmania. When the Spolite Empire threatened the Dara Happans, the EWF sent War Dragon detachments from Dragon Pass to fight alongside the Dara Happan Infantry. This is how the EWF found out about the Carmanians. They approached Surandar, seeking alliance (a date is not given). I am imagining that this is new info (since two paragraphs are devoted to it in GtSA). However, I want my material to conform with it. These are the dates given in GtSA.

725: Carmanians fled Loskalm after its conquest by God Learners 780: The fall of the Spolites (Carmania's War Dragon allies melt back to Dara Happa)

830:  The Carmanians invade Dara Happa under the Black Shah Asacar
864:  Asacar murdered by rebellious generals
880:  White Dynasty began rule of Carmania (which I assume includes
Dara Happa) Saman the Lion rules.
900: Saman the Lion slain in the battle against the War Dragons