Re: How many Argraths?

From: Michael Hitchens <michaelh_at_G5p6RhddCowG2mznm2bO2ntRKh_M50yibEBADhrD_u-b2YoPKChuiveeZeCwr-JktVW>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 12:54:35 +1000 (EST)

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007, Jane Williams wrote:

> --- Roger McCarthy <r.f.mccarthy_at_CZflA2E27blrVQO_wHpJXAmn1Iji96Ocr_UAalapXQLwulY0hx7SZytGfCRjdjhPg8u5HhzoL50OFhRdOw.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
>> An issue with establishing any connextion between
>> AWB and Kallyr
>> before late 1625 is the question of where Kallyr is
>> between Iceland
>> (Earth/1622) and Dragonrise (Earth/1625).
>
> Indeed.
>
>> Can't find my copy of the third Sartar Rising book
>> and can't remember what dates it gives.
>
> Going by memory, it's extremely vague about dates and
> about her location. And very useful it is too, when
> you want to fit scenarios ito PC plot-lines! I'll try
> to re-read later, but this is a busy weekend.

Just looked through - bague would overstae the level of tdetail it gives Of Kallyr's actions between iceland and the Ship raising. But that gives gm freedom to move.

>> But based on KoS the most likely scenario is that
>> she is attached to Broyan's army:

> My own guess would be that she's becoming more and
> more detached from Broyan's army. She's doing the
> prep. for the Dragonrise: lots of HQing, visiting
> sacred sites, travelling around. Sometimes with a
> small army in tow, sometimes not. Her location will be
> pretty flexible, though I'd be surprised if it took
> her as far as Pavis for more than very brief visits at
> most.

I agree

>> However the CHoDP does put an Argrath in the Holy
>> Country in 1624 with
>> Harrek:
>>
>> 'Argrath went back to Prax, and with the White Bull
>> brothers and some
>> others took the city of Corflu from lunar hands'.
>>
>> This statement is the basis of my theory that this
>> Argrath must be he
>> same one (Garrath) who accompanied the Cradle and
>> joined the Wolf Pirates
>
> And mine, though as Peter points out, it could have
> been one of his followers.

It could have, but why multiply the numbers needlessly? Everyone of Argrath's "actions" could have been done by a different person. In then end it comes down to the tone and purpose of your campaign. Then you decide which Argrath fits that best.

>> - and that if he is able to rally the White
>> Bull brothers to
>> take Corflu then there is a strong case for
>> identifying him with AWB -
>
> Maybe. I'm not convinced. If he's turning up out of
> the blue and taking over the WBB, he needs to convince
> a bunch of Praxians (as an Orlanthi) that he's worth
> following. Hard. If he already knows AWB (a separate
> person), then he only has to persuade *him* to be an
> ally, and that sounds like a much easier job.

And easier still if he has some decent record in Prax to point to (like being one of those mainly responsible for ptoecting the cradle)

>> as otherwise it is going to take no fewer than three
>> Argrath's (one of
>> whom may or may not also be a Jaldon) to take Pavis.
>
> Yes, and this is a problem how?

And it's ony three by involving the Argrat of Pavis, who is a very minor bit player really. If we assume the other two are Garrath and Jaldon they are much more major, and having both allows a shifting net of alliances as they ally, split over Kallyr and then who knows what? Of course, that's *if* (big if) that's the sort of thing you want in your campaign. MGF is a wonderful concept, but it's easy to loose sight that what some find fun, others find poison.

Michael

Dr. Michael Hitchens
Senior Lecturer, Department of Computing Macquarie University
michaelh_at_lI73GzEwjuKFtUiIyBWkUtmZGm5FMm9cLDxIZyxcJnEGrgot_96bmpYkIh8lUZQANxtdXlhXFq7iFFddY5yybJ4.yahoo.invalid