Re: How many Argraths?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_1ehfvsSy3w9mw-8c7CNZRAWFkqYrxgBObinTETP56xlw1OtZPTCgeKkqpIFET>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 13:11:33 +0100 (BST)

> Jane:
> > calling themselves "a man of the chief of this
> camp" -
> > resident there. Probably. There may be lots of
> other
> > interpretations.
>
> Sure, like it's obviously not Pavis he's talking
> about, since no one living there would call it a
> camp. So, he's with someone in tents. And if he's
> the chief's man, maybe he is the chief's property.

The place where the incident occured was Pavis. (shrugs) Nomad camp outside? Ah, but the whole "man of the chief of this camp" sounds like Ritual Talk to me. Let's compare with the other Invocations. Skipping the first few, looking only at the last two:

"Two. Second Age
Source: the Sherl (you know...)
drum: slow and steady
gesture: none, in a trance
"I am Jarang, Son of Jornatos, of the Tedanling clan. I am an initiate of the Speaking God, and I am a man of the chief of this camp."
"I am Jarang, and I make this prayer to you, Talking God, as you told me to do. And I call upon you, Lord of Stories, to speak through me, as you told me you would do."
"Seven Winds I found, and when they spoke together the truth of the tale was revealed to me. I now ask those seven winds to come here, and to let their voices be heard through mine."

Three. Third Age
Source: My brother's letter, from Pavis, where he heard this man speak.
drum: slow and steady:
gesture: none, but to beat the drum
"I am Arnbord, Son of Venharl, of the Karandoli clan and the Colymar tribe. I am a poet, and I am a man of the chief of this camp."
"I am Arnbord, and I make this prayer to you, Issaries, as you told me to do. And I call upon you, god who keeps me talking true, to speak through me." "I call upon the Keepers of the Six Stories to wake, and to fill me with the tale. I call upon the Lady of Inspiration to sit within me, and to tell this story of how the world was made."

Both are calling on Issaries. "Camp" could be like "Orlanth's Camp" - a ritual thing, formal social roles rather than a physical collection of tents.

Would a Praxian slave worship Issaries?

New Yahoo! Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing. Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games and win prizes. http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://mail.yahoo.net/uk