Re: Pelandans in the Second Age

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_myLgLILZpy238BC9nwWxGvt10qz_XKm4elxD7Dl6b7qmLrxb9GQbDkL6qN4T0e0NZ6vvC3K>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 11:05:10 -0700

YGWV Quoting innerworlder2000 <innerworlder2000_at_oMzbRFQcu2QrS96nQOzinLm4n4JU2_BYizAd9Ni5ykd_g_Zx_lS7j9WodRXKoEP7P6gK84MmKnZexECCDL4tMRM.yahoo.invalid>:

> I have one last series of questions concering the Oronin valley in the
> second age. The role of Pelandans seems to be ambiguous. At some
> times they seem to be separate from the Spol Empire (the natives of
> the territory the Spols invaded) and at other times they seem to be
> considered all of the Spol Empire (no differentiation).
>
> At some times they seem to be in control (they gave the foothills of
> the brass mountains to the ten-thousand) and sometimes they seem to be
> the serfs of the Carmanians.
>
> First of all, is there a difference between the term Pelandan and the
> term Spolite in the Second Age?

Yes.
Pelanda is a place, and it ought to be used to describe the area. And it is also used to describe the region during its city-state phase. The Golden Empire (i.e.- Nysalor era, when Dara Happa and the Dorastor Empire were one) ruled over them, and the Foes of Light got together with some hellish/underworld powers to throw them out. These were the nucleus of the "Spolite Empire." I use quotes because their central government was not as powerful and united as the word "empire" might make you think.

> If there is no difference who did the
> Spolites take over?

The city-states, but remember that they did it by throwing out the overlords from Dara Happa.

> Was Burntwall the last unconquered city of the
> Pelandans when Syranthir and the ten thousand came to the Oronin valley?

I'm not exactly sure. He may well have worked FOR the Spolites. Think of the city-states being ruled by their own Dark Pwers int he Spolite period. They warred with each other, just as they had warred with each other through their mythic and early historic periods.

> Second of all, did the ten-thousand intermarry with the Pelandans
> creating a mixed race of Pelandans?

Yes. There was a shortage of women among the Army of the Ten Thousand.

> Are Carmanians primarily the
> descendants of the ten-thousand?

yes, primarily, but not exclusively.

> Are the Pelandans who are serfs
> descendants of the Spolites?

Not all Pelandans were Spolites. The ruling classes were, but the majority of the commoners really didn't care who their overlords were. Ater all, it is simply that some are less harsh than others.

> Are there noble Pelandans who are not
> Carmanians?

Yes.

> In short, who did Syranthir protect from the invading Spolites an in
> the second age, after Carmanian law and satrapies are established,

There were no Carmanians in Syranthir's time. The Carmanians were AFTER Syranthir.

> what is the differencebetween a Carmanian, a Pelandan, a serf and a
> noble?

Defintions AFTER the establishment of Carmania: Carmanian: member of the ruling class of Carmania, or one who has privilages from them. Generally worship in the Carmanian religion Pelandan: Commoners of Carmania; or person who can not trace his ancestry to the Carmanians or proto-Carmanians. Serf: Unfree member of the Pelandan people. (there are probably free Pelandans like merchants, priests, and so on. But they would still be second-class citizens).
Noble: a member of the ruling class, usually a Carmanian but including priests of the Pelandans and most of the local, lowest-class ruling class.

> And, are Spolites considered different from any of these?

Again: AFTER the Carmanians.
Spolite: a worshipper of the Darkness Entities in Pelanda, heir to an outlawed and defeated tradition that stubbornly persists in the land.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford