Re: Pelandans in the Second Age

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_SQPNCsTqj9q8_MnWF56dDEAQF34q-U-SL88b3QTN8WrSk7rSsd0MtRIS8ysy76dFIKYDxcv>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 11:15:18 -0700

YGWV Good anwers Kevin. Just a couple of refining points.

Quoting Kevin McDonald <kpmcdona_at_p63cEwwZSfROxHh1gtpAcnkIkJ6MkKZoj6sdNXEjXUiafBNqfa4IewSR5DFfWQ_p6DOA6YA3aOmOOsjP.yahoo.invalid>:

> On 3/26/07, innerworlder2000 <innerworlder2000_at_oEEJuc2N4xcxC7I3UoAMR0YY0tWKxyowY_eRGkQ-yZ2Ftr4rHnv4z_b4ef8J4OhhjsB0Rve2PDat6tfMfVpI29U7_wg.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

>> Was Burntwall the last unconquered city of the Pelandans when
>> Syranthir and the ten thousand came to the Oronin valley?
>
> Burntwall (originally called Shardash) is a city founded by a
> Carmanian Shah much later on. I don't think it exists in any form
> during the MRQ time period.

I agree.

>> Are Carmanians primarily the descendants of the ten-thousand?
>
> Some are, and some are not.

> Moreover, Carmanians are those who accepted the teachings of Carmanos.

VERY important point whihc I glossed over in my answers.

> My feeling is that during the life of the Prophet there were many
> Pelandan converts, and the conquest of the middle and southern
> Pelandan cities really was a war of liberation.

 From the Spolite ruling class.

> That began to change
> under the reign of Carmanos' son Surandar when Carmania pushed into
> the Spolite heartland. Conversions are now quite rare.

I think there are converts, but after a while the distinctions become ossified and more rare. But I do believe that ambitious, pious Pelandans do convert from their "saintly gods" to the main religion.

> I wonder if there were members of the Ten Thousand that refused to
> convert and became serfs?

Interesting.
Probably, but I doubt most of them would have passed up a good thing that was likely to make them better than the commoners.

>> Are there noble Pelandans who are not Carmanians?
>
> Nope. I think the aristocracy is exclusively Carmanian.

Again, when swe used this as a class distinction, Kevin is right. But there could be Pelandan-born folk who become Carmanian, though change in occupation, religion and attitude.

>> In short, who did Syranthir protect from the invading Spolites an in
>> the second age
>
> Syranthir rescued the city-state of Brinnus. Later, Carmanos lead a
> series of campaigns that liberated the cities around Lake Oronin and
> upriver as far as Balovius.

Correct.

> All nobles are Carmanians, but not all Carmanians are nobles.

Good point.

> Sometimes the term "Spolite" is just used to mean "resident of the
> Satrapy of Spol", in which case it is not (usually) a negative term.

Though the people would naturally have a prejudice to NOT consider the differences possible. Kind of like the "All Cretans are liars" attitude.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford