The Torkani

From: Tom <yaldabaoth_777_at_npBaSVRaHlMQ2KEpxWKse-uOXZa1nNOCZSHj5dfmtWsDM0JddzX2H-ShGI-63>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 00:23:15 -0000

I have some thoughts regarding the Torkani. I have studied Jamie "Trotsky" Revell's work; it's good stuff. His musings and mine appear to be similar in some facets, but it appears that My Glorantha Does Vary from his (naturally). Feel free to mock or critique my conclusions regarding these beloved and reviled weirdos.

Assumptions: we are talking about Torkani cultural, religious, clan, and tribal structures for the 85% "all"; the recent refugee influx, Lunar meddling, and Alone Undertribe struggles change some of the dynamics. These complications lead to more fun.

I see Torkani culture as a matrilinial Heortling society that marginalizes or ignores Lightbringer gods; they are replaced by Darkness dieties, most notably Argan Argar. Most of the Earth and other non-Lightbringer dieties associated with Heortling culture are found (such as Ernalda and Humakt), but they have different levels of influence than seen in other tribes. Shamans are integrated into society far more than elsewhere in Sartar.

Everyday life is similar to other tribes. Men plow, herd, or hunt; women keep the house and perform traditional female Heortling roles. However, noticable differences are present. Shared marriages are present among the rich and powerful, which scandalizes the neighboring tribes. People traffic with Uz, spirits, and Darkness entities much more frequently than other tribes. Things which are frightful or macabre to others are accepted (or at least tolerated). Certain members of the population adjust their sleep schedules to avoid the sun... or embrace the night.

Clans and the tribe delegate power to matriarchal power structures based on the cult of Deloradella for day-to-day governance. However, the devotees of the cult of Argan Argar Rex have the right and responsiblity to secretly convene a Leaden Ring when crisises warrant mediation or unified action. The membership of the ring is similiar to the other Heortling rings but reflects Torkani society. The convener attempts to find consensus within the ring and is empowered to broker (or nullify) agreements between the ring members and those they represent. The convener has the mandate to make a final binding decision if consensus cannot be found. After consensus is found or a decision is given, power is delegated again to the clan or tribal queen. The members of the Argan Argar Rex cult are seen more frequently in their day-to-day role of advisors to the queens, and outsiders believe that the Torkani are purely matriarchal.

That's plenty for now, and I haven't even talked about their origins (or why I think the Torkani are the way I describe). Thoughts? Thanks!
Tom Iverson