Re: No Abiding Book in Loskalm

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_7o1mYnIO6BtY0kxw5b-fPAaVlhAX2-qBoOZpVrONQWSAjQEGNiMrtbqoLG5mJmCPjXa>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 09:00:33 -0000

> >Actually, I do not believe that the Loskalmi have anything to do
> >with the Abiding Book.
> >They continue to regard it as false.
>
> This is a marked change from what has been said previously.
> The Heroquest rules for example talk about it being the prime
> scripture for both established and marginal churches in the
> west (HQ p154).

The blessings in First Times, one of the two core sciptures of the Idealists, are heavily based on those in the Abiding Book, which is I suspect what that line means. Rule mechanically, there is not a lot of difference between the two.

> If the Loskalmi Church didn't follow the
> Abiding Book, that would place the Humble Calligraphers
> (who do) in a difficult position.

It's quite possible that they *are* in a difficult position (which isn't the same as being banned or unable to function, which clearly they aren't).

Alternatively, as a nondenominational sect, it may be that they are happy to use whichever the local prime scripture is, and the Abiding Book happens to be the only one in the core rulebook, so it gets mentioned. Thus, when they recruit Idealists, they let those members use First Times, when they recruit Jonatings, they let them use the White Book, and so on. The text that is really important to them as a wizardry school is The Closed Scriptorium, and perhaps they aren't particularly bothered as to which the other grimoire in use is.

> Previously the understood wisdom was that the Loskalmi
> were Rokari (or some mutation thereof)

I must admit, I'd always assumed they were Hrestoli from the off, at the very least, which would preclude them being Rokari - although them not using the Abiding Book was certainly less apparent to me until recently. I don't think the Malkioni Church has been particularly unified since the third century ST, although the Third and Fifth Ecclesiastical Councils managed to create illusions of unity that did not really last in either case. I certainly don't see the Rokari as ever having been dominant in Fronela - although doubtless they sent missionaries.

> But there has been too much information
> already published to take the position that the
> Loskalmi are not Malkioni.

Well, that depends what you mean by 'Malkioni'. They do acknowledge Malkion the Prophet, which is good enough for me. Greg is evidently using a narrower definition than I would - or, indeed, than Heroes of Malkion does - because, I assume, he's making the point that the Rokari and Idealists are radically different in many respects. Which isn't really in dispute, I suspect!

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

MXLPs: 6 (Cap'n Q, Harvey Mills, Tim Hall x3, Brian Rogers)