Re: The Trouble with Insravel

From: Toread DuDerysi <jakyer_at_ZbKNuZA-OJsaA0gOX98VL4bwC-EygWZNI_Kf-pBdxpx7Fizgqc_Ohhg1IAVA5l3mcp0C7>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:30:37 -0000

Carmanians, who are a Gloranthan topic, suitable for discussion on World of Glorantha

> >First of all, I created this thread.

...which is certainly going off topic for the list. Its become a nitpicky  thread about Zorasterism, not the Carmanians. Nor am I entirely enamoured of someone telling me how the Carmanians REAAAAALY were. I guess its all about tone (yes, I am conscious of the irony)

> So? You don't have ownership of it. The Carmanians are not
> Zoroastrians. They have elements in common with the
> Zoroastrians but when a topic gets bogged down in the finer
> details of Zoroastrians, it ceases to become helpful in anybody
> wanting to know more about the Carmanians. The point is
> that Real World Religions are a source of inspiration and
> analogy to be drawn upon, not a canonical guide that must
> be rigidly obeyed.

Yes, that's pretty much the way I see it. Thanks, Peter.

I admit a bit more of an extremist in that I tend to have my eyes glaze over when its not actually relevant to playing in Glorantha. But I admit I'm a freak.

We've gotten a fair amount of how the Carminian religion functions from 'inside the box' - I don't think we need to continue conflating it with Zorasterism and dealing with that in excruciating detail. That's Diget territory. =)

> Describe the Carmanians as they look, think and act is all that I'm
> saying. Forget about trying to obtain clarity in definitions or
achieve
> orthodoxy through wikipedia citations. Neither of those approaches
> will help people to have fun with Carmanians.
>
> --Peter Metcalfe

Yes, very true, Peter. I find one-true-way-ism always disturbing when applie to gaming. It smacks of accusations of wrongbadfun.

Earlier, I noted earlier that too close a parallel or analogy leads to more problems than solutions. I think I can rest my case.

So, can we stick to Glorantha? Cos that'd be cool!

Jeff