Re: Twenty Years Ago

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_mXSXz14-0Cb4AtT6niA75kVXG390ughRpdnUNOC-ThrX24HYExGSUJit2tezor1DktM3bI0>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 10:05:55 -0700

YGWV The essay, kept intact below for reference, is a perfect example of what happens within Glorantha and, especially, my own creative efforts.

That is, things change.
We learn more.
They are added to Glorantha.

It is a creative realm, meant as a place to have fun and explore possibilities, to make changes and track their consequences.

Thus I discover that Loskalmi Irensavalism rejects the Abiding Book, that there was a Fimbulwinter in Dragon Pass and any other number of changes come about.

I do apologize for the havoc these may wreak in peoples' campaigns. But I also reject the idea that I can not be creative in my own fantasy creation.

After all, it's just a game. YGWV, and MGF

Quoting innerworlder2000 <innerworlder2000_at_Q-2UDFKaIHLYgzNNpN_xf9ZzdDy7qG5YiK44TFlv1nuDEq1QUhD_qCcp_GoFvg-7Fnur2udkj-RukLcQap6HY7o.yahoo.invalid>:

> Greg wrote:
> "Where were you twenty years ago when this was being written?"
>
> Actually, that's kind of interesting. About 20 years ago I was running
> campaign that was designed to start in Prax, move through Dragon Pass,
> and give adventurers the opportunity to become instrumental in the
> myth of the Red Goddess. I was racking my brain trying to resolve
> "Lunar magic is a weird combination of sorcery and spirit magic,"
> (Gods of Glorantha) in Peloria and the idea that Sorcery was practiced
> on the west coast. In the end I came up with the idea that a group of
> feudal Malkioni heretics (Gnostic- types) were expelled from Loskalm
> and after a journey ended up in Peloria. This group became one source
> from which Sedenya drew her new philosophy. Sedenya was had not
> attained illumination at this time.
>
> The adventure was designed so the group could either join with groups
> pro-Sedenya groups or with groups opposing her and it was supposed to
> lead to the group's first hero-quest. Anyway, I probably wouldn't have
> been any help then, because I was still trying to muddle through the
> concepts and cultures of the RuneQuest world, and I was only taking my
> first philosophy course at the time. That one RuneQuest campaign
> actually stirred my interest in history and philosophy. I was trying
> to become a God-Learner in somebody else's RuneQuest campaign just
> because it sounded `cool.' Nobody could figure out just exactly what
> a God Learner was, though or why they were even called God Learners.
> We weren't even close.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.