Re: Iron (un-Digest-ed)

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_nM7GumhlsucnkPBzOb7qKqyO6FMPRoktHH-WuSD7TtbnCXZDANf2jfzAXUon9>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 23:17:31 +0100 (BST)

> Well, in fact RQ has the same problem, too.
> Attunement of Iron was possible only in RQ2, it was
> called Enchanting/Tempering in RQ3.

And in what way does a name change make it impossible?

> And it is no
> longer possible in MRQ, so it looks like the rules
> have changed. Or were they the God Learners that
> introduced Iron Enchanting to avoid having their
> spells screwed by armor or weapons?

I though most people disliked the idea that the GLS is "it's only a game"? So MRQ got something else wrong - the more I read of their productions, the less this surprises me. Actually, what does surprise me is that Iron hasn't been moved off to Expansion Pack 13a, the one with glossy hard covers and three pages of content, most of which is art-work...

> Oh, well, I think we cannot tie the whole subject to
> the ruleset we are using.

Exactly. In Glorantha, as documented over many years, Iron can be magically changed so that it does not affect the user's magic. If a new rule set fails to mention this, then it is wrong, or at the very least incomplete.

> The current trend is "Iron
> disrupts your magic - period", so we should go with
> it whatever system we base our Glorantha upon.

Discarding everything written on the subject so far, because a new rule set got it wrong? My Glorantha is based on *Glorantha*, not on a rule set. So how did this change occur, in Glorantha? Answer without reference to any rule-set, please...

> Sorry for Jane's campaign...... ;-)

My campaign? Hardly the point. How about every campaign set in Glorantha, with the possible exception of a few post-HQ, started by people who didn't know how enchanting the stuff worked? How about every major NPC documented, the ones with the iron weapons and armour, which did not affect their magic because they'd attuned it?

New Yahoo! Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing. Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games and win prizes. http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://mail.yahoo.net/uk