Re: Iron (un-Digest-ed)

From: Paolo Guccione <p.guccione_at_BcEi3NSTRR76gUrChcMaKc97X-67P2FvVxdkb1pes7wprGnBzTQvzWRtYCYOueJWh>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 00:56:29 +0200

> I though most people disliked the idea that the GLS is
> "it's only a game"? So MRQ got something else wrong -
> the more I read of their productions, the less this
> surprises me. Actually, what does surprise me is that
> Iron hasn't been moved off to Expansion Pack 13a, the
> one with glossy hard covers and three pages of
> content, most of which is art-work...

Well, I shouldn't break my NDA, but it seems that the 3-page-of-contents supplements will all be devoted to a popularly-demanded reprint of the Kyger Litor cult writeup. It was the only way they could split the writeup between more than one book. This is why the rules about iron were included in an earlier supplement.

> Oh, well, I think we cannot tie the whole subject to
> the ruleset we are using.

> Exactly. In Glorantha, as documented over many years,
> Iron can be magically changed so that it does not
> affect the user's magic. If a new rule set fails to
> mention this, then it is wrong, or at the very least
> incomplete.

I hope so.

> The current trend is "Iron
> disrupts your magic - period", so we should go with
> it whatever system we base our Glorantha upon.

> Discarding everything written on the subject so far,
> because a new rule set got it wrong? My Glorantha is
> based on *Glorantha*, not on a rule set. So how did
> this change occur, in Glorantha? Answer without
> reference to any rule-set, please...

I never stated I liked the current _interpretation_ of this. A Glorantha without enchanted iron is not #1 in my wish list (I would rate it #500 at most, with #499 being the introduction of armor classes in both HQ and RQ game systems). I have stated my ideas, which are not what I would like to see but what I believe is the current interpretation. Everybody else did the same. I have yet to see a comment by Greg about the subject here.

The only thing I would like to see unchanged, iron-attuning rules or not, is the fact that the Seshnelan army is massively equipped with iron (Genertela book, IIRC, which was a RuneQuest supplement but had little to do with rules). And this would work whether iron can be attuned or not, as most malkioni fighters usually cast no magic in combat - in fact it provides some sort of protection, instead.