Re: Tides on inland waters in Glorantha?

From: Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_UWzqvS1JATfUz3dZibB-fcegondoFmT2vIaRDITD3MhyKDlfEVqyZTx3dxYXNIYWl8nNrg_R>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 11:49:20 +0100

Greg Stafford <Greg_at_eqBANZlEx7eJx4jBIsoNdCgUnUjYL4Wbr9JdYH7kBoNYT_xwxsGvwsGGSKKuZN7ntEu6isszlS7oyx23.yahoo.invalid> writes:

>Oh yea, and you are right
>I do not know of any tidal lakes or rivers.
>
>That is, don't know of them *now.* But who knows... :)

No equivalent of the Severn Bore in Glorantha?

For reference: rising tide in the river's estuary forces the river to run backwards twice a day. During the highest spring tides, this can result in a 2m (6'6") wave travelling upstream at 16 kph (10 mph).

With other rivers, the effect is less dramatic. But the Thames is also a tidal river all the way up through London.

As to how to explain this in a mythic context: maybe the sea gods are simply trying to re-invade the land, but always get beaten back... or perhaps one particular sea god is trying to rejoin his earth goddess lover?

Stephen