The outside perspective on Glorantha

From: narsham01 <Narsham_at_iYCi0Fer-ECyedWFhmehfWRiQ58BJaUWjFKLg2Ft8Q5Mqwwomix1oaN-Cg_74gX5xbn6>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 03:48:42 -0000

A few words first in praise of Glorantha as setting: maybe it's just that odd synchronicities tended to cluster around Glorantha campaigns I ran or played in, but there's real magic in the place. Without question, the single best adventure I ever designed and ran was a Gloranthan adventure, and given I've been playing RPGs for 26 years, that's saying something.

I wanted to share a few tales of that magic with you. After being introduced to Glorantha by one of my players (who ran a campaign under RQ3 rules--it was months before any of the rest of us were even able to acquire copies!), I decided to borrow an idea or two for my long-running D&D campaign, dropping the Shambler from Cults of Terror into the roster of agents working for a foe of the PCs. When they finally vanquished that foe (the Mother Orb--a quasi-deity of sorts whose interest in battles was signaled by a white moon appearing in the sky), they decided to exile her instead of destroying her. While still awakening, she had fallen under a bad influence; now, she wanted a fresh start in a new world, a chance to be a force for good. For my own amusement (and that of the subset of players who knew Glorantha), I decided to have her exiled to Glorantha, with the "help" of the kindly Pocharngo. Cue ominous music.

Oddly, some of the PCs actually had a conscience about this whole affair, and decided a while later to send a mission to see if the exiled Orb had held to her promise. The RQ campaign I'd been playing in had wrapped up and I was suffering withdrawal, so this proved a perfect opportunity to scratch my Glorantha itch! The players had a secondary group of characters appropriate for conversion, so I made the necessary game preparations. One of the RQ players familiar with Glorantha would play their "native guide," an Orlanthi. The resulting clash of cultures (coupled with players getting their first glimpse of Glorantha and RQ) revealed some truths, I think, from an interesting perspective. I thought I'd share a tale or two--and would be happy to share more if there's interest.

Here's two perspectives on the initial mission: Outsiders--Lauriella's "gang" was under strict instructions to be sneaky. If agents of the Mother Orb detected them, they might be in danger. At the least, they might not get an accurate impression of the Orb's role in this new world. Lauriella herself, having been involved in the Orb's defeat, would remain behind. Nerlo offered to employ his Illusion powers to conceal the group, but nobody felt him likely to be reliable at that task. So Volag, as priest of commerce, wealth, and thievery, was appointed leader for the initial infiltration.

Knowing almost nothing of their destination, the gang decided on a cover identity. Bringing strange coinage would be risky; even gems might not be rare on this other world. So they would travel as a merchant band. They could claim to be from far away, and thus cover their ignorance, and they could carry a wide range of goods to sell or barter for money and services. They outfitted a large wagon. Bothari and Tobi would ride alongside as guards. They could locate the nearest town or city and ride in without attracting too much notice.

Their surroundings on arrival seemed somewhat ominous. A river flowed at their backs, with some kind of strange canal protruding from it. The great city around them had been reduced to rubble. The glowing white sphere of the Mother Orb hung in the sky above the city; a red moon glowed off in the distance. The gang was relieved to notice that the damage was not recent, though. Perhaps the Orb was holding to its promise?

They began to ride away from the river, towards what looked to be some kind of settlement, when strange beast-men jumped out of the rubble at them. Bothari and Tobi, with a bit of help, dealt with these attackers, though they used some strange magic in the fight. As they mopped up the creatures, a lone figure in bronze armor approached them and recited some kind of poem.

Volag was surprised that he spoke in a language they all understood, as he expected he'd have to use translating magic. He indicated he was a friendly merchant from far away; his overture of friendship seemed well received by this native warrior, and they soon negotiated an agreement that he would guide them.

The warrior led them to the walls of New Pavis, where guards required them to register their identities and possessions. As they listed their magic, a crowd gathered. Soon after, the leaders of the city, and heads of the Trade Temples and Knowledge Cults, arrived en masse to see the travellers and officially welcome them to the city. For some reason, these people were making a big deal over the arrival of a single wagon of goods! The gang's first plan had failed--they would not go unnoticed.

Umbros Swiftblade--Umbros' family and the rest of the Colymar tribe felt "Swiftblade" an apt name for a man whose sword was so much quicker than his wits. Perhaps it was his simple-minded nature that kept him out of the deeper councils of the Sartarite exiles here in Pavis. Despite his skills, he mostly acted as a courier, sneaking messages through the Rubble under the guise of adventuring/exploring.  Little did anyone suspect that his simple mind would help associate him with people who would change his world forever.

Unlike many in the Rubble, when Umbros heard the sounds of combat, his first impulse was to move towards it. On this occasion, he arrived as the fight was dying down; a band of Broo was being slaughtered by two warriors on horseback, armed and armored with Iron! They guarded a single wagon. From their position, it looked like they must have emerged from the Puzzle Canal...

Umbros approached and spoke the Greeting. Clearly, these people were powerful, perhaps Heroquesters of some sort. Their answer showed they were not Orlanthi, but they were friendly. Their leader Volag said he was a trader.

Looking over the group, Umbros realized that all their equipment was Iron! For that matter, their buckles were Iron! The nails in their wagon were Iron! Potent traders indeed! Perhaps they were from a place that could help against the Lunars? Umbros quickly offered to be their guide, hoping they prove to be friends indeed. Did Orlanth not triumph in part because of his willingness to make friends of the foreign?

His new employers and friends seemed surprised at the reaction when the band of Heroquesting traders entered New Pavis. Umbros made sure to introduce them to the head of the Issares and Lhankor Mhy cults in town. The traders were more surprised to see the fuss made by those gentlemen over their wagon. Umbros overheard the Grey Sage marvelling  that every nail in the wagon had been tempered...

Needless to say, a few little differences could translate to an unpredictable reception.

David