Re: Real World Vingans

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_Z4CLi7qZjHcZD-MG2g0JvB2dadTLAeUyztHFjuts_l_mVecgB-X7VF0WZ9Nd29PoPj--fZX>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 09:02:30 -0700

Quoting Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_PvHnBVvymo4pSKhQy6KZxjO4DJ56OvBmVCVhNN38g5edeFLSoOejKYF_-iWDS1Cm05omJ2IMmT-XVzM0Oh_9Pv5Jdy4.yahoo.invalid>:

> Let's try checking the writeup, shall we? Vinga is
> refered to as "she", throughout. And "Loyal Daughter".

HeroQuest is a set of game rules for the world of Glorantha. As such they are tailored to appeal to a modern audience. There are many unpleasant subjects and perspectives that are left out entirely, and many others that are shaped to appeal to players. The application of these moderations for a commercial product ought to surprise no one.

When I address something on the list, I am not necessarily talking about HeroQuest, or in fact any other game. I?m talking about my Glorantha.

Several approaches are apparent to this subject of our dear Glorantha.

There is the game approach: with the rules foremost and canonical. HeroQuest, being a game, encourages this and no one can be faulted for using it.

There is the fictional world approach: that Glorantha is a fantasy world with all the wonder, fascination and fun that such a place encourages. Necessarily the facts are going to be different from a game.

Finally, there is the mythological approach: that Glorantha is the expression of deep mythological truths, with all the fun, confusion and anxiety that such an approach necessarily entails.

All these are simultaneously true, even though they may conflict with each other.

I?m not going to argue for one over the other, although I will continue to post from all three perspectives as seems fit or entertaining for me.

The most important thing here is: YGWV and MGF.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford