Re: Nandandies Re: Real World Vingans

From: donald_at_KYV_ihE12P2iNH_XRVP5mmEDJ89BSAz4r7-uPoNx8fDvOz03-flsTJ-EzSkg7yKrUhdTH
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 13:11:47 GMT

In message <200704040657.l346vOFV017333_at_ZsRsvb8YYvZpwk7NRFoCMW1REGrOoyDayO1-Z76rGsSV3hoRCla0FqiNTcaDXK98GN-uXSDq4iwPqz0WtI7OmZf6RGpC0c0Cb9ZATVnz75fa5s9TsJgucG0.yahoo.invalid> John Hughes writes:

>Day to day weaving is done by the hearth - not a good place for
>controversial crafting.

What's day to day weaving? with some sort of portable loom? I can see spinning and knitting being done wherever is convenient. Mind you I don't think girls learn to weave until they've reached an acceptable standard in spinning. If they've had to work hard to get the thread they're going to be careful using it. A boy would probably be allowed to try spinning but very few would keep going long enough to learn it properly. It'll be one of the first signs that a girl is going to follow Vinga when she rebels against spinning.

>Serious weaving is done in the loom house,but
>no man is welcome there, because, among other things its where the
>clan is run from: the first moot, the womens' moot. No mere male will
>ever be aloud to spy what goes on there.

This is the way I see it as well. The only men who ever go inside are the carpenter and his assistant. That's by special arrangement. They go in, do the repairs they have to and don't touch anything else. Afterwards a priestess performs a short ritual to remove malign influences and restore harmony.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/