Re: Iron (un-Digest-ed)

From: Nick <seatonstomb_at_TE8lGXfksXIul1QS6GtDhedU-GlAwjwX4Laz2gVcL2ceNbIRfAlZIUqPwphP_18l>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 21:59:35 +0000 (GMT)

There are other curiosities of Mongoose Runequest. Check their notes on Gorakiki (magic of Glorantha page 86) describes her as "one of the most feared threats in the chaos army" Also Mongoose have crippled priests by having them sacrifice power potential rather than power for divine magic 4 points of divine magic and no 18 power.

Your obedient servant

nick

<janewilliams20_at_ ...> wrote:

> --- Paolo Guccione <p.guccione_at_ ...> wrote:

> > Well, in fact RQ has the same problem, too.

> > Attunement of Iron was possible only in RQ2, it was

> > called Enchanting/Temperin g in RQ3.

> And in what way does a name change make it impossible?

> > And it is no

> > longer possible in MRQ, so it looks like the rules

> > have changed. Or were they the God Learners that

> > introduced Iron Enchanting to avoid having their

> > spells screwed by armor or weapons?

<snip>

> > Oh, well, I think we cannot tie the whole subject to

> > the ruleset we are using.

<snip>

> Discarding everything written on the subject so far,

> because a new rule set got it wrong? My Glorantha is

> based on *Glorantha*, not on a rule set.

<snip>

Since the early RQ days Glorantha material has had a good measure of

internal consistency and logic, or at least the feel that this is the aim.

Despite this, parhaps because of it's long history, there are

inconsistencies and dilemmas that a GM will have to solve.

One of those, to me, is the exact nature of Iron.

Here's my one GM's take.

Unenchanted (cold) iron can be used for weapons like it were bronze.

It is in it's pure runemetal state, and is the metal of Death. This

elemental connection is what gives the following effects:

  1. Cold Iron is deadly to elves and trolls, and their kin.
  2. Cold iron hinders and disrupts magic not originating from the Death

rune. An iron mostali's sorcery is not hindered, nor are the feats of

a Humakt cultist.

***

Iron can be impregnated with magic to such a degree that the elemental

effects are dampened. Such, enchanted Iron, doesn't hinder magic, but

it's effects on elves and trolls are also greatly reduced. The deadly

effect is reduced to reminiscent of a contact allergy. The enchanted

iron is a very tough metal, and a great (but expensive) material for

weapons and armour.

<!--

#ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
#ygrp-text{

font-family:Georgia;
}
#ygrp-text p{
margin:0 0 1em 0;}
#ygrp-tpmsgs{
font-family:Arial;
clear:both;}
#ygrp-vitnav{
padding-top:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-size:77%;margin:0;} #ygrp-vitnav a{
padding:0 1px;}
#ygrp-actbar{
clear:both;margin:25px 0;white-space:nowrap;color:#666;text-align:right;} #ygrp-actbar .left{
float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
.bld{font-weight:bold;}
#ygrp-grft{
font-family:Verdana;font-size:77%;padding:15px 0;} #ygrp-ft{
font-family:verdana;font-size:77%;border-top:1px solid #666; padding:5px 0;
}
#ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
padding-bottom:10px;}

#ygrp-vital{
background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:2px 0 8px 8px;} #ygrp-vital #vithd{
font-size:77%;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:bold;color:#333;text-transform:uppercase;} #ygrp-vital ul{
padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
#ygrp-vital ul li{
list-style-type:none;clear:both;border:1px solid #e0ecee; }
#ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;float:right;width:2em;text-align:right;padding-right:.5em;} #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
font-weight:bold;}
#ygrp-vital a {
text-decoration:none;}

#ygrp-vital a:hover{
text-decoration:underline;}

#ygrp-sponsor #hd{
color:#999;font-size:77%;}
#ygrp-sponsor #ov{
padding:6px 13px;background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
#ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;font-size:77%;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
#ygrp-sponsor #nc {
background-color:#eee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:0 8px;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
padding:8px 0;}
#ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold;color:#628c2a;font-size:100%;line-height:122%;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
text-decoration:none;}
#ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
text-decoration:underline;}
#ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
margin:0;}
o {font-size:0;}
.MsoNormal {
margin:0 0 0 0;}
#ygrp-text tt{
font-size:120%;}
blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
.replbq {margin:4;}
-->

New Yahoo! Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing. Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games and win prizes. http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://mail.yahoo.net/uk