Nandandies Re: Real World Vingans

From: Toread DuDerysi <jakyer_at_03iVLil01Nh6EdtNlFuN1TMFeYP_TAGIsdnshCAiwioIUx4K1HkuMRa-TDEjafbZ5OC0C>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 21:22:38 -0000

Drinking, of course. And gesturing. And indicating just exactly how big the Storm Bull really was. At least, in my glorantha. Greg's reply works for me more or less well.

> > And as always, the swords and spears need to be
> > tended to,
>
> Yep - weaponcrafting, that's a craft.

Which is usually covered as a part of, say, the warrior or farmer keyword. No need for joining another cult or posting a whole new aspect of Orlanth.

Nandan;s for those who don't want to farm or hunt or fish or fight as their primary duty. As a side note, Chalana Arroy is considered too extreme for most women, let alone men, to join with its fanatic attitude towards fighting. I think that Nandan would be perfect to provide a needed outlet for males who wish to become healers in the society - and that IS a common player-character choice.

> > How is this different from the old granny by the
> > fire?
>
> It's different in that they're not yet that decrepit.
> Old age is not an on/off switch. One can lack the
> fitness to run up an 1:1 slope in armour and carrying
> spear and shield, or to plough the fields all day, yet
> still be capable of sitting down and sewing. Or
> cooking, weaving, carving, potting, spinning,
> knitting... come on, spinning is done by four year
> olds!

Conversely, how much effort is required to tell some young kid that he's not holding the spear right? I don't see it as being all that different.

(Ah, that just reminded me of the happy days of granda telling me the finer points of how to play hockey, and tap maple trees. Dad, on the other hand, showed me the basics...)

> > What does she
> > do now that her gnarled hands can no longer thread a
> > needle, weave a basket, or set a bone?
>
> Die, basically. And chat as she waits. If she's that
> far gone, she's waaaay past it. But arthritis is
> hardly the first symptom of no longer being young and
> fit.

YGMV But similarly, a man who can no longer even instruct the youngsters is also rather far gone.

Jeff