Nandandies Re: Real World Vingans

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_URhJHFKKZ8UBGr4ape3MIsQGY7BbuJMEdONwaAEyKad2oTeahHeWDAGpwYitbSXxVo2m>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 23:21:05 -0000

> What, all of them? Lots of chiefs to the Indians, in
> that case! No, Donald's idea of doing gardening,
> child-minding, carving, mending, that sounds more
> reasonable. At the very least, he can do something
> constructive while he gasses.

That's not a divine activity - more of a hobby. Not many Orlanthi men make it to elder status.

> Yeah, and "lead" means doing what, exactly? Sitting on
> his bum doing nothing won't impress anyone. Minding
> the grand-kids is useful. Durev,... yes, he'll be good
> at that. "Bless Child, Calm Child's Fear," as feats.
> But he doesn't seem to get a lot more. Most of his
> feats are to do with relationships, not skills.

I'm not sure you have a good idea the sort of immense prestige and authority an elder has in pre-modern societies. An old man is impressive to his family simply because he has survived to old age. Anyone over 60 years old will be widely respected - sometimes merely for the fact that they have survived in a life which is unstable and often violent.

And don't slavishly follow the list of feats. Most men will have magical affinities of Allfather, Making, and Family and will augment their mundane abilities with those affinities. Again, no special subcult is needed.

Jeff