Re: Nandandies Re: Real World Vingans

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_FHj8MamcEsw0Z2-Iqa1fBNVRY9T_q9duu78pCAlAPhjgBRZtCMF8z8OdwnNyk>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 08:25:09 +0100 (BST)

> In message
> <194044.13415.qm_at_5lJZckSAMKKxwYTZ2B0yWBdB_FPZFxmffZyz_oxGdFBtH7n4Q5dESlktAqB77IYVK0rzL1XIHMLq3lbRBtMtkmp3A21l0MJGZ5pKACoI4rG9Mym7fA.yahoo.invalid> Jane
> Williams writes:
>
> >So you subscribe to the "men are too incompetent to
> >talk and act at the same time" theory?

> It's more the fact that the work men do tends to
> make
> talking at the same time impractical. Particularly
> the
> group discussions which decide things.

That's the other way round: sure, typical male work excludes talking. But it was being suggested that at the times men *are* sitting around talking, they are incapable of doing anything constructive at the same time. And that falls into a popular modern theory about men being incompetent (only women can do more than one thing at once, apparently), which still seems to be to be unfair to men.

> >> I think that Nandan would be perfect to
> >> provide a needed outlet for males who wish to
> become healers in the society
> >
> >Yes, that sounds good. Though also stopping them
> from
> >being husbands and fathers sounds pretty silly.
>
> Cultural practices often seem silly to outsiders.

This isn't a cultural practice: it's whether you've got the body parts or not, and of what type.

> For a man to get access to those secrets
> he has to persuade the goddess that he's a woman in
> a man's body.

Yes - in a man's body.

> Just as a Vingan has to persuade Orlanth
> that she's a man in a woman's body.

Still in a woman's body.

And since the body is what matters once you're in bed, getting a Nandan to give birth is going to require a few more steps.

I can see a possibility that Nandan might lose the ability to father children, though no reason for it. Vinga losing the ability to become pregnant is practical: you're not an effective warrior when you're waddling. But fathering a child wouldn't affect the Nandan's ability to carry out his purpose. The loss would be for stylistic reasons, not practical.

New Yahoo! Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing. Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games and win prizes. http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://mail.yahoo.net/uk