Nandandies Re: Real World Vingans

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_B-6YinRK30WDSmLsmI_d1HZzsbM2Dl5afJM6Uoq6usifEKODCB7PZRqOIr-ficUUPJ7->
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 14:34:24 -0000

> > It's more the fact that the work men do tends to
> > make
> > talking at the same time impractical. Particularly
> > the
> > group discussions which decide things.
>
> That's the other way round: sure, typical male work
> excludes talking. But it was being suggested that at
> the times men *are* sitting around talking, they are
> incapable of doing anything constructive at the same
> time. And that falls into a popular modern theory
> about men being incompetent (only women can do more
> than one thing at once, apparently), which still seems
> to be to be unfair to men.

Jane - you've lost me. I have no idea what you are talking about now.

> I can see a possibility that Nandan might lose the
> ability to father children, though no reason for it.
> Vinga losing the ability to become pregnant is
> practical: you're not an effective warrior when you're
> waddling. But fathering a child wouldn't affect the
> Nandan's ability to carry out his purpose. The loss
> would be for stylistic reasons, not practical.

Vingans can still get pregnant. But it is taboo and good way to get in big big big trouble with the gods and with your clan. A Vingan is accepted as a "man" by the gods and by the rest of the clan, even if the body parts aren't there. A Nandan initiate is accepted as a "woman" by the gods and by the rest of the clan, even if the body parts aren't there.

And it is worth keeping in mind that these are minor cults. The vast majority of women are Ernaldans, the vast majority of men are Orlanthi. Vinga and Nandan are for that tiny minority of men and women who want a different gender role.

Jeff

Jeff